Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPLS for home lab?

Hey all,

I've been 'lurking' on this forum for a wee while, and have hopefully helped a few
    people [even if they (generally) never came back to let me know ]. This is my first post
    asking for help...

Its part career advice, part training, I suppose. I've worked for a number of
    companies, and designed and installed a fair few setups- but I've almost no
    experience whatsover in MPLS. And thats what every position I've seen advertised
    that I think is a suitable 'next step' seems to need as a key skill. It looks chicken/egg based: I need to make that jump to a telco or ISP to get to that next level and gain MPLS experience, but telcos/ISPs need MPLS experience to hire me! So, you see where I'm coming from.

Anyone have any idea of a basic minimum kit I would need to get my feet a bit wet with MPLS? Is there a way to set a router up as an MPLS switch, kinda like can be done with FR?

Any thoughts or comments are gratefully received-

theterranaut

Re: MPLS for home lab?

Hi TT,

I believe that you can use a multiport router as a MPLS switch. I think it would be good experience if you want to work at an ISP that used MPLS. Different ISP's use MPLS in different ways. For example, on the AT&T network, if a customer gets a MPLS circuit, their router (the customer's router) actually uses the MPLS protocol. In my situation, I have Sprint MPLS. With Sprint, they have core MPLS Cisco routers that tag the traffic with MPLS and switch it however, the customer's router (my router) doesn't run MPLS. SO, in my case, I am using their MPLS network but my router's don't run MPLS at all. My routers just run EIGRP as the routing protocol and talk to their routers in the Sprint MPLS cloud.

Here is a link on configuring the Cisco IOS for MPLS.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...mp_c/index.htm

There are also some Cisco Press books on MPLS at www.ciscopress.com

Best of luck to you!

Feel free to post what you learn or if you have more questions!

Thanks,
    David
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Thanks David, much obliged to you as usual! Yep, its looking like I need to
      convince some poor unsuspecting telco to hire me...

all the best,

theterranaut

Comment

TT,

From the posts you have made here, I can tell that you have a lot of knowledge to offer. I think that a telco should be happy to have you on staff.

Best of luck to you!
        David
        David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
        Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
        TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
        Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Working...
        X