Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to configure QoS on Cisco 2188 Router [WAS: HELP!! Please...QoS...]

Hi,

I am a newbie when it comes to VOIP and QoS...and I am fairly new to configuring routers and switches on production networks...

Here's my issue...

I've got a call at a college that needs QoS configured on 6 Cisco 2811 routers by the end of the week...Talk about being dumped on....!!

Anyway, I don't know where to even begin...I've got no information other than, "go configure QoS on their routers...

Are there any step-by-step guides to doing this? What are some basic questions that I need to be asking these folks? There network guy is out on medical leave, so I have limited knowlege of their network other than, there is a central siteand they and they are all linked via T-1 to that central location. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Need to configure QoS on Cisco 2188 Router [WAS: HELP!! Please...QoS...]

Hi Chris,
    Sorry so long to get back to you. I just now read that "you need help by the end of the week".
    There are a few different ways to configure QoS. As a newbie, I would first try the Cisco SDM auto configuration of QoS because it is all done in a graphical configuration.
    You can also go to the interface and use auto qos voip. This is great for easily configuring QoS for Cisco VoIP phones.
    Let us know how it goes, I would be glad to help further!
    Thanks for posting!
    -David
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

I have been having a similar problem, trying to figure out not only how to configure Quality of Service on my Cisco Routers, but also how to verify that what I've configured actually is working as it should! I just found a fantastic tool that helps to verify QoS configurations - it's called OidView Cisco-Class-Based-Qos browser. Once you have configured your QoS via the CLI, fire up this tool and you will be able to see your configuration as it exists in the MIB. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by daviddavis View Post
        Hi Chris,
        Sorry so long to get back to you. I just now read that "you need help by the end of the week".
        There are a few different ways to configure QoS. As a newbie, I would first try the Cisco SDM auto configuration of QoS because it is all done in a graphical configuration.
        You can also go to the interface and use auto qos voip. This is great for easily configuring QoS for Cisco VoIP phones.
        Let us know how it goes, I would be glad to help further!
        Thanks for posting!
        -David
        Thanks for the response David; I actually read your article on tech republic...you made it sound so simple;....I am very excited about trying out the SDM, but I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that either...I went through the Cisco academy last year and we were trained "old school"....using the CLI....to configure a router....not that it was a bad thing, but for situations like this....YIKES!!!..

Anyway, still would like some pointers if you have the time...I have another school that I need to do this for as well (tomorrow 12.27) and I hope you are able to respond to this in time...If not, I look forward to more tricks of the trade in future articles from you...

Thanks

Chris

Comment

SDM ain't gonna do anything for you when the shit hits the fan - don't grow to depend on it. The way to do that is to not use it and stick with the CLI - everything is there. I'm not in front of something that's got a good QOS sample on it or I'd paste it here but I'm a little curious as to why you're going on these jobs that you're not qualified for...
          Thanks,
          Brian Desmond
          Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
          www.briandesmond.com

Comment

Hi Chris,

To be honest, configuring Cisco QoS can be a real pain. And proving that it is really working can be even more of a pain.

Brian is right that you shouldn't depend on Cisco SDM. I like that you went to the Academy and learned the CLI "old school". That is truely the best way to do everything on a Cisco router.

You might try AutoQoS in the CLI.

Here are some links that might help you:
            http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk54...gory_home.html
            http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk54...ocol_home.html

I would also recommend the Cisco Press bookS on QoS, like this one:
            http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/...587051761&rl=1

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
            David
            David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
            Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
            TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products