Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using SDM to setup Cisco 1811 router to allow ISP's SMTP but disallow all others

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using SDM to setup Cisco 1811 router to allow ISP's SMTP but disallow all others

Hi,

I have been having problems with Spam at our company (we run an exchange 2000 server), so my service provider set up a spam filter for us. The good mail is sent from 4 different IP address (at our ISP) to our Exchange server. The spam is sent to our spam account (on our Exchange server).

It seems to work almost perfectly. However, some Spam still gets through, and upon closer inspection, the originating IP is not that of the good mail. It seems that some IP's are still connecting directly to our exchange server (and not through our ISP).

What I think I need to do is to use my Cisco 2811 to not allow SMTP traffic from any IP except my ISP's 4 Spam Filter IP's. Is this correct? And how do I do it using the SDM??

Re: Using SDM to setup Cisco 1811 router to allow ISP's SMTP but disallow all others

You should really read the Forum Rules before posting:

2) No double posting

Not here. Post once, wait for an answer. Do NOT post your "very important" question on more than one forum, and never post the same question again. If you have new issues regarding your "old" question - just follow your first thread and post to it. Members that cannot understand this simple rule will be banned.
    MODS are not going to be happy about this and you may get off lightly with a 2 week ban

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Using SDM to setup Cisco 1811 router to allow ISP's SMTP but disallow all others

Sorry about that. I am new to the forums. I just put my post in the wrong section, and I wanted to post it in the right one.

I will ensure that I do not do it again.

Comment

No problem

I would delete one of your threads and make sure you READ the forum rules!!!

They take no prisoners around here

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi willdem34

I see two seperate questions that you posted which are very similar.

1. you wanted URL filtering on your router. Take a look at this link-
          http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...804abb06.shtml
          2. you want to only allow traffic from a certain group of IP addresses to your mail server. Yes, I would create an access-list to do this.

I appreciate your post. Please post any follow up questions you might have!

Thanks,
          David
          David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
          Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
          TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
          Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Comment

Thanks for your help david, and I apologise for the 2 similar posts. I admit that I didn't read the rules carefully before posting, and I'll make sure that it doesn't happen again. To be fair, however, once I realised what I had done, I editted my original post so that it didn't resemble my repeated post.

Again, I apologise for repeating my self.

Comment

Can you give me any links that can assist me setting up the access list?

Comment

hope this helps:
                http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...080458303.html
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                X