Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• printing on local printer from a program on the server

Hi.
    I use remote desktop on xp to access sbs 2003 and i need to print from a program on the sbs to a printer that is attach to my xp local pc.
    how do i do that??
    Thanx alot
    ASI
    Last edited by asi; 14th August 2006, 08:00.
    MCP, MCSA 2003, MCSE 2003

Re: printing on local printer from a program on the server

When you run Remote Desktop, there is an option to map local printers to the server. You will need to check the correct drivers are installed on the server as well as the local machine.

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Please review:

Printers That Use Ports That Do Not Begin With COM, LPT, or USB Are Not Redirected in a Remote Desktop or Terminal Services Session
      View products that this article applies to.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302361/en-us
      Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

I'v enabled the option for local printer but still when i try to print it prints to the printer that connects to the sbs and not to my local printer(which connects usb to my pc).
        do i have do define a new printer on the sbs with the path to my local printer(throw ip)??

thanx
        asi

Comment

Ther's no need to define a printer on the server. Look at the attached JPG. If you checked the checkbox as it shows, and you don't get your local printer on the server's printers' list, you should check the Event Viewer. You might get there an error message that can explain why your printer is not recognized by the server(might be a driver issue).
          BTW, is your application on the SBS printing to the default printer? Can you change the printer to which is the job sent?
          Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:09.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

N.B. : Are you aware of the fact that only the default printer of your station is defined on the server, aren't you?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

i can change the printer but i can't see my(local) printer on the server' only the ones that localy attached.
              so sorinso u say that when i'm logging in to the sbs i should see my printer on the printers list?(i'v enabled the printer on the connect screen)

Comment

Yes, Asi.
                You should see the printer that is defined as default on your station as the default printer in the session you opened on the SBS.
                If you dont see it in the Available printers' list, check the Event Viewer -> System log for any entries related to Print. You should get there info that will explain what happened with your printer (and why isn't available).

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

HI
                  Yuval14 thanx for the link:
                  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302361/en-us

as soon as i did the reg thing on the local machine and logged in i saw the printer with the local computer name in the printers list on the server and i was able to print to my local printer.
                  then i did it on another laptop and it worked again.

so
                  Thanx alot u guys were relly helpful
                  Asi

Comment

HI.
                    one more thing just came up.
                    after a few times it worked fine suddnley when i use the remote i can see the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer and not the real printer(the default one).
                    when i tried it from my home i got the same problem: i can only see the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer.
                    thanx
                    asi

Comment

Hi.
                      i got that one too.
                      The printer was hp 5600 which Does not support sbs 2003.
                      When i changed it one that does(diffrent hp) it worked again but i had to install the drivers on the server first( i had to get the printer for that ).

Thanx
                      Asi

Comment

Working...
                      X