• Show
Clear All

• redirection of users profile

Hi,

I have couple of users working on a ts server 2003
    in a 2003 enviorenment
    except the ts server i have a dc.

the users profile were created in the sys partition on the ts server
    and i would like redirect or move them in order to make more available space.

thanks

Re: redirection of users profile

All you need to do is change the Profile path value of the user.
    If those users are local to the TS server then go into Computer Management and under Local users select the user and in the Profile tab type in the new profile path.
    If those are domain users then just change that user's Profile path in the Active Directory.
    You'll have to move the folders manualy (or write a script to handle the entire process).

Comment

The users are domain users
      but their profiles aren't configured on the ad
      there for they are located in the default place

Comment

All you've got to do now is decide where you want to move the profiles to and point the users to that location.
        In AD, double click the user, go to the Profile tab and type in the path where you've placed the profiles, like so:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Profile.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	462548

Comment

yes i know the option

because the users don't have desktops their profiles appear in the default place -> documents and settings. maybe i should use gpo in order to redirect it from the sys partition to the second partititon on the ts, is it wise to involve the dc?
          i know it is the best way to do it when you work in domain but because it is already been done on the ts server , i think maybe i should put it there.

furthermore, is this option effect users who log in ts, i 'm asking because i saw in the ts tab in user properties (ad) , ts profile path option.

thanks

Comment

There's no need to use GPO on that, because it's all in that single value, Profile Path, just change that and the next time the user logs in it will create the profile in the path specified.
            I think that in general it's best to let the DC be just that in an overall view of security and performance, so you can keep the profiles on the TS server.
            The TS profile path is used to supply an additional profile just for TS, if not specified the user recieves it's normal profile.

Comment

hi,

changing user profile path isn't going to help me.
              it will just save the users profiles COPY in the place i choose.
              when users log to ts , its like logging on your personnal computer
              so their profiles will be save locally on the TS in the default place "document and settings" . roaming profile in terminal(and i have only 1 server) isn't necessery
              only if you want to have a copy and have a backup to it.

so what i'm looking for is: "changing the default place of "documents and settings"
              and why? because i don't have enough spcae in the sys partition on the ts server.
              do you think ts profile option on ad is meant for that. or do you agree i need to use some sort of gpo?

thanks

Comment

Have you had a look at this tab within ADUC???
                Last edited by wullieb1; 19th December 2006, 15:03.

Comment

It seems that I've misunderstood your question.
                  Look at this KB on how to change the default location of the Documents and settings folder.
                  http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q322014

Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

so if i use the ts profile tab (and i prefer this option because i don't have to touch the registry) it will change the profiles paths of the users who log on to the ts to a alternative location i choose?

and what about the copy of the present pofiles? xcopy and some premissions will do the work?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kopal
                      so if i use the ts profile tab (and i prefer this option because i don't have to touch the registry) it will change the profiles paths of the users who log on to the ts to a alternative location i choose?

and what about the copy of the present pofiles? xcopy and some premissions will do the work?

thanks

Why not copy the exisiting profiles over then set the profile path.

Comment

wullieb1 and niv you're the greatest

one more question, i've tried to look who is premitted to log on to the ts
                        i looked in the local group -> remote desktop users , ad -> remote desktop users -> local users(thought maybe someone was stupid enough to add them localy)

now, i know they bought licensing ; but when i open the licensing on admin tool the licensing isn't configured. i'm pretty sure you can't logon with a simple domain user by default

so?

again thanks for the rapid replay

Comment

Originally posted by kopal
                          wullieb1 and niv you're the greatest

one more question, i've tried to look who is premitted to log on to the ts
                          i looked in the local group -> remote desktop users , ad -> remote desktop users -> local users(thought maybe someone was stupid enough to add them localy)

now, i know they bought licensing ; but when i open the licensing on admin tool the licensing isn't configured. i'm pretty sure you can't logon with a simple domain user by default

so?

again thanks for the rapid replay

I'm not sure what you mean.

As far as i know the access to the TS is controlled by ADUC. If you look back at the pic i attached you will see a checkbox at the bottom "Allow logon to Terminal Server"

Comment

ha ok i saw

listen i've created a new user and made a share under the destination partition
                            i wanted. BUT

it made a COPY -> roaming profile ( 1 on the default place and 1 on the share)

i don't want the default place on c:\documents and settings

Comment

Are you logging in locally or remotely via TS??

I have a funny feeling you are actually on about a roaming profile and not a TS profile.

Comment

Working...
                              X