Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recording a Terminal Services Session...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording a Terminal Services Session...

Hello Experts,

I am going to have someone log into our network to do some training for us and I would like to record the terminal services session to be able to replay what he shows us. Does any one know of a way to do this?

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    "This comment is composed of 100% recycled spam"

Re: Recording a Terminal Services Session...

Citrix have a great tool for this. Ask Yuval, he has the details. Otherwise I'd go for a tool such as Camtasia Studio that can record entire sessions (not TS-related, just what it sees on the screen).
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Please review Citrix IRIS Project:

http://www.shadowall.net/freeware/Ar...erview-Web.zip

Regards,

Yuval
      Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Thanks guys,

I will look into both of these things and let you know...

Cheers

CW
        "This comment is composed of 100% recycled spam"

Comment

After many months working on this, we developed RecordTS and as the name says, it does exactly that. It records all RDP sessions on a terminal server or simply on any Windows Server (like Exchange, Domain Controllers, SQL, ISA, etc) so you can later playback everything, every single person did on your servers, TS or not.
          This is a great tool for security/auditing compliance.
          There are other solutions that are similar to RecordTS, in the way they record what is happening on the screen.
          The main difference is we go to the bottom of RDP recording, actually recording the RDP stream and not simply doing screen capture to .PNG formats like others do.
          This means RecordTS is extremely lightweight and scalable and can record easily 60-100 users at the same time on a TS box, using very little disk space per hour, per user. It also signs the recorded files digitally to prevent tampering.

The official launch will be next month in Las Vegas during the WinConnection expo (November 7th-9th, 2006) and we will be there on both 216.

For the first quarter next year we are adding ICA recording capabilities so if you have Citrix you will be covered as well (and yes, I know Citrix is adding this to Presentation Server but it will require an upgrade and it will probably be part of the Enterprise version so anyone running other versions will need to upgrade - what means big bucks).

If you guys want more info just take a look at http://www.tsfactory.com.

Cheers!

ClŠudio Rodrigues
          CEO, TSFactory Inc.

Microsoft MVP
          Windows Server - Terminal Services

Comment

Bringing this topic back to life, it's important for me to point you guys to a more advanced solution called ObserveIT (www.observeIT-sys.com) that allows the capturing of the human interaction with the server/workstation, and the most cool part of it is that it indexes all the screenshots and allows easy textual searches through the database. This way, if you suspect that one of your administrators made a change on one of the applications that are installed on one of your servers (virtually ANY application), you can easily perform a search of all the human interactions with that server during the previous X hours/days, and easily see what where the actions that were performed on the server. Clicking on the action will bring you to the exact point in time of the captured video, allowing you to see exactly what that user did, and what he did right before and after that point.

Even more so, you can easily search for all the similar actions that the user performed across your entire enterprise, because you may rightfully assume that if he did it once, he might have done it again elsewhere. This feature allows you to be sure he did not do it, and if he did, you can easily find out about it BEFORE your servers go down due to this misconfiguration.

The software also allows you to post a "sticky note" that will pop out and warn the user/admin BEFORE they click on that wrong checkbox. While it will not prevent them from actually doing it (you should use permissions to prevent users from messing with your systems), it will notify them before they press on that button or click on that checkbox, and thus help you prevent human errors.

ObserveIT captures all the interactive sessions with the server/workstation, plus all remote desktop or TS connections. It also works with Citrix and CockpIT, and also records 3rd-party management tools such as VNC, PCAnywhere, NetOP, Damware and others.

After you see a demo, you will want it!

www.observeIT-sys.com
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I would like to throw in my $0.02. I've used ObserveIT for the past month or so on our 300+ servers, and life can be divided into 2. Before knowing this software exists, and after beginning to use it.... Amazing capabilities. Thank you Danielp for letting us know about it!

Comment

I was VERY happy to find this topic on this forum site.

Can anyone who has used the Observe IT product advise whether the Identification Service functionality can be turned off?

We want to use it in a more stealthy mode for legitimate Information Security investigations and do not want users who RDP to servers to have to first authenticate using their windows credentials and then see a second authentication ObserveIT gina to sign in to. We want them to RDP to their servers as normal without realizing ObserveIT is recording in the background.

Also, has anyone done any monitoring/benchmarks regarding CPU utilization, Memory, performance, etc... on servers running the agent?

Thanks very much

LD

Comment

The easy way is to contact the company. As I know, Me. Daniel Petri works in this company as CIO.
                  Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Working...
                  X