Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Assistance Issue

Hi Folks,

Both machines are using XP Pro sp2 and MSN Messenger 7.5.

" Remote Assistance Connection Could Not Be Established"

In trying use remote assistance as "novice" we get the above error message
    on the "expert" machine and cannot connect to the "novice".

Qwinsta cmd on the "novice"to see if RDP is listening gives the message:

ERROR 1702 getting session names
    ERROR [1702]: The binding handle is invalid

I deleted and reinstalled Client for Microsoft Networks on the "novice"but
    to no avail. All items on remote tab are checked properly and have been
    unchecked and checked again to make sure they apply/

Any ideas as what to do next to get this thing working. In reverseing the
    connection attempt everything works fine.

Thanks for any help.....

David S>

Re: Remote Assistance Issue

Please to to run:

netsh winsock reset
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

And check if the Remote assistance enable and there no firewall/NAT issues.

Regards,

Yuval
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Hi Yuval

Thanks for your quick reply. I tried both of the commands, rebooting after the first one as the CMD window instructed, ran the second command and rebooted again -no luck still the same error report.

Both have the Windows firewall on and are behind the same Linksys WRT54g router. The "expert" machine is on the network by a wireless card.

I pasted the resetlog.txt file below, if that helps

Thank you for your help.....

David Smith

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dhcp\Parameters\ Options\15\RegLocation
      old REG_MULTI_SZ =
      SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\?\DhcpDomain
      SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TcpIp\Parameters \DhcpDomain

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters \Interfaces\Tcpip_{0F8E79B4-F2E8-4EB1-A6BE-35690A7410A2}\NameServerList
      old REG_MULTI_SZ =
      <empty>

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters \Interfaces\Tcpip_{2277CDF9-38E8-4A87-84DB-8C9519207486}\NameServerList
      old REG_MULTI_SZ =
      <empty>

added SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters \Interfaces\Tcpip_{2277CDF9-38E8-4A87-84DB-8C9519207486}\NetbiosOptions
      added SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters \Interfaces\Tcpip_{331F2442-5C6C-44BF-9D83-D25614E179A9}\NetbiosOptions
      reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters \Interfaces\Tcpip_{7CE79CE8-F2DB-4363-AF94-B22BED30A0C0}\NameServerList
      old REG_MULTI_SZ =
      <empty>

added SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters \Interfaces\Tcpip_{7CE79CE8-F2DB-4363-AF94-B22BED30A0C0}\NetbiosOptions
      reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters \Interfaces\Tcpip_{C99D003B-5F48-4D3B-ACFF-32F402AB5913}\NameServerList
      old REG_MULTI_SZ =
      <empty>

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters \Interfaces\Tcpip_{CA8FD7C7-81D3-422C-9842-B4C6D683C803}\NameServerList
      old REG_MULTI_SZ =
      <empty>

added SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters \Interfaces\Tcpip_{DB2E44C6-7F87-40CA-A5B9-991457698368}\NetbiosOptions
      deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters \EnableLmhosts
      deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters \ScopeId
      reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{0F8E79B4-F2E8-4EB1-A6BE-35690A7410A2}\DefaultGateway
      old REG_MULTI_SZ =
      <empty>

added SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{0F8E79B4-F2E8-4EB1-A6BE-35690A7410A2}\DisableDynamicUpdate
      deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{0F8E79B4-F2E8-4EB1-A6BE-35690A7410A2}\IpAutoconfigurationAddress
      deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{0F8E79B4-F2E8-4EB1-A6BE-35690A7410A2}\IpAutoconfigurationMask
      deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{0F8E79B4-F2E8-4EB1-A6BE-35690A7410A2}\IpAutoconfigurationSeed
      reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{0F8E79B4-F2E8-4EB1-A6BE-35690A7410A2}\RawIpAllowedProtocols
      old REG_MULTI_SZ =

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{0F8E79B4-F2E8-4EB1-A6BE-35690A7410A2}\TcpAllowedPorts
      old REG_MULTI_SZ =

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{0F8E79B4-F2E8-4EB1-A6BE-35690A7410A2}\UdpAllowedPorts
      old REG_MULTI_SZ =

deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{2277CDF9-38E8-4A87-84DB-8C9519207486}\NameServer
      deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{7CE79CE8-F2DB-4363-AF94-B22BED30A0C0}\NameServer
      added SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{C99D003B-5F48-4D3B-ACFF-32F402AB5913}\AddressType
      reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{C99D003B-5F48-4D3B-ACFF-32F402AB5913}\DefaultGateway
      old REG_MULTI_SZ =
      <empty>

added SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{C99D003B-5F48-4D3B-ACFF-32F402AB5913}\DisableDynamicUpdate
      reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{C99D003B-5F48-4D3B-ACFF-32F402AB5913}\RawIpAllowedProtocols
      old REG_MULTI_SZ =

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{C99D003B-5F48-4D3B-ACFF-32F402AB5913}\TcpAllowedPorts
      old REG_MULTI_SZ =

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{C99D003B-5F48-4D3B-ACFF-32F402AB5913}\UdpAllowedPorts
      old REG_MULTI_SZ =

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{CA8FD7C7-81D3-422C-9842-B4C6D683C803}\DefaultGateway
      old REG_MULTI_SZ =
      <empty>

added SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{CA8FD7C7-81D3-422C-9842-B4C6D683C803}\DisableDynamicUpdate
      deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{CA8FD7C7-81D3-422C-9842-B4C6D683C803}\IpAutoconfigurationAddress
      deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{CA8FD7C7-81D3-422C-9842-B4C6D683C803}\IpAutoconfigurationMask
      deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{CA8FD7C7-81D3-422C-9842-B4C6D683C803}\IpAutoconfigurationSeed
      reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{CA8FD7C7-81D3-422C-9842-B4C6D683C803}\RawIpAllowedProtocols
      old REG_MULTI_SZ =

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{CA8FD7C7-81D3-422C-9842-B4C6D683C803}\TcpAllowedPorts
      old REG_MULTI_SZ =

reset SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \Interfaces\{CA8FD7C7-81D3-422C-9842-B4C6D683C803}\UdpAllowedPorts
      old REG_MULTI_SZ =

deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \DontAddDefaultGatewayDefault
      deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \EnableIcmpRedirect
      deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \EnableSecurityFilters
      deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \SearchList
      deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \TcpMaxDataRetransmissions
      deleted SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters \UseDomainNameDevolution
      reset Linkage\UpperBind for ROOT\MS_NDISWANBH\0000. bad value was:
      REG_MULTI_SZ =
      PSched

reset Linkage\UpperBind for PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4401&SUBSYS_015F1028&REV_01\4&39A 85202&0&08F0. bad value was:
      REG_MULTI_SZ =
      PSched

reset Linkage\UpperBind for PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4324&SUBSYS_00011028&REV_02\4&39A 85202&0&10F0. bad value was:
      REG_MULTI_SZ =
      PSched

reset Linkage\UpperBind for ROOT\MS_NDISWANIP\0000. bad value was:
      REG_MULTI_SZ =
      PSched

<completed>

Comment

Please try to connect both machines to LAN (non-wireless) and disable the Win firewall.
        Then try to enable the firewall and try to connect. If this works, they may problem with the Wireless access.
        Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Hi Yuval,

I will try this. However the "novice" machine is hardwired and "qwinsta" shows RDP is not listening. On the wireless machine "expert" RDP is listening. When the roles are reversed the hardwired machine can take control of the wireless machine.

Thanks for your help......

David S>

Comment

Hello again,

I connected the wireless machine to the network with cable and nothing changed. On the machine where RDP is not listening I cannot connect to it through Remote Desktop as well as Remote Assistance. but I can connect through RD to the other machine whether wireless or hardwired.

Is reinstalling Windows the only solution?

Thanks for your help..

David S>

Comment

reinstalling windows is the best solution you can do instead of repairing.

Comment

Hi,

Don't want to reinstall windows -what do you mean by repairing?

Thanks....

David S>

Comment

Please backup the PC and try to use:

http://www.shadowall.net/freeware/Ut...nsockXPFix.zip

If it doesnt help, please consider to reinstall the OS.

Yuval
                  Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

Comment

Hi Yuval,

Thank you for the reply. Can you tell me something about what this WinsockXPfix.exe program will do?

I always have my data files backed up. I do not have any type of full system image backup (the os) from which I can restore everything.

Should I before I try this?

What is the max downside of using this patch?

Can I trash the whole system?

Thanks again fo your help....

David S>

Comment

This isnt a patch but software that reinstalls the TCP/IP. In the worst scenario you will have to reinstall
                      The OS so why not be prepare to Plan B before 
                      If it doesnít helps, there may missing some registry keys or some Trojan/other application capture the
                      RDP ports. Due the fact that you donít ďseeĒ this Trojan/other application or/and donít know what registry
                      Settings was corrupt, reinstall is the quickest way to resolve problems.
                      Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

Comment

Hi Again Yuval,

Thank you for your help. I think I will wait a while before trying your winsock re-install. The machine with the problem is my main working laptop and I cannot risk having to reinstall the o/s and all my programs at this point.

Perhaps if I had a working HD image solution that could recover everything I would.

I can use Remote Assistance and Desktop with my client base with no problems, so the fact that RDP server is not working on this machine is not a critical issue at the moment.

I will use your solution at some point and will let you know thw results.

Thank you....

David S>

Comment

This another tool for reinstall TCP/IP.
                          Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

Comment

David Smith: You may want to look at the following page

http://blog.netnerds.net/2006/12/rem...te-assistance/

Comment

Working...
                            X