No announcement yet.

Setting Up Terminal Services in SBS2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Up Terminal Services in SBS2003

In my test lab I've attempted to set up terminal server mode after installing sbs2003 on two as the dc & one as a member server in that domain. The member server will act as the terminal server itself. Terminal Services installed automatically as a component in the sbs2003 package.

No problem installing the license server & activating it, however, when attempting to change the licensing mode from administrative to server (for clients) through 'terminal service configuration', directions in a server 2003 text, instructed to go through add/remove programs to make the change. "Terminal server" is not listed - only 'terminal licensing' (Contrary to Win2k Server that I've done in the past).....the text also noted that it could be set up through 'Config your server wizard" - well, the wizard isn't even listed/available on either sbs2003 what? I would like to be able to set up the services in server mode for applications in future sbs2003 installs with small business clients.

I hope I'm missing the obvious...Any help is greatly appreciated!

SBS 2003 Terminal Services does not permit Application Mode

With SBS 2003 Terminal Services does not permit Application Mode - it only permits licensing for two concurrent users a.k.a. Terminal Services in Administration Mode.

Microsoft suggests that if you need Terminal Services in Application Mode then you use a second Win Server (Either Standard or Enterprise/2000 or 2003) on the domain (which can also be a BDC - BackUp Domain Controller) but must not be a PDC (Primary DC) for another domain.

This expense really is not necessary however because all users can use Remote Web Workplace (which has same functionality) and is exclusive to SBS 2003 and optimized for it.

There are Knowledge Base articles reagarding this as well as it's in the Known Issues/Read Me located in the root of the Install Disk.