Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote desktop access problems

Hi All,

I have a user who cant connect from his home computer to company server using remote desktop and VPN. We are using PPTP VPN and VPN connection is working, but remote desktop to the server(IP address) is not working. But this user can access remote desktop from other computers using another network, so i assume that there is nothing wrong with his AD credentials. I used other user credentials and VPN worked, but not RDP. I tried connecting to RDP after disabling the mcafee firewall, but no luck. Telnet to our email server using 3389 is working from his computer, so remote desktop port is not blocked. Ping to the IP address of the server and network share mapping of the share folder in this server are working.

Any suggestions? Thank You.

Re: Remote desktop access problems

Firewall/antivirus on the home PC, possibly?
    ISP blocking 3389?

Test for both - can he RDP into another server on his home machine
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I checked the 3389 port by telnet mail_server_name 3389 and is connecting. if the port 3389 is blocked, then telnet wouldn't work. Right?

Comment

true.... forgot to take that in properly...
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

RDP into other server is possible, but not into this server. But he can access folder shares on this problematic server. Also he can access RDP connection to problematic server using same credentials with other network connection(3G).

Comment

Is there anything on your side blocking his IP?
            Can other people RDP from outside your LAN (I see inside is not a problem)
            Have you checked your firewall?

Is the server he is trying to access the same as the one he can Telnet into?
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Working...
            X