The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted

I have a 2008 R2, terminal server, it's part of a domain. I have another terminal server on the same domain that's ran by the same domain controller, and it doesn't have a problem. Just trying to rule out the Domain Controller..........

OK, here we go............

THE SPECIFIED DOMAIN EITHER DOES NOT EXIST OR COULD NOT BE CONTACTED is what I get when I try to log into terminal services. When I Restart the server it works til it doesn't.....maybe 2 times a day.

All of a sudden, this started happening intermittently. This server has been in production for 2 years with no problems.............THANKS!!!!!!!

THIS IS IN EVENT VIEWER..THE FIRST 2 EVENT ID'S OCCUR THE MOST 1061 AND 4105.....

ERROR
    EVENT ID 1061

Remote Desktop Session Host server was unable to retrieve users Licensing information from AD. Error 0x8007054b
    .................................................. .................................................. ....................

WARNING
    EVENT ID 4105

The Remote Desktop license server cannot update the license attributes for user "username" in the Active Directory Domain "domain.local.". Ensure that the computer account for the license server is a member of Terminal Server License Servers group in Active Directory domain "domain.local.".
    If the license server is installed on a domain controller, the Network Service account also needs to be a member of the Terminal Server License Servers group.
    If the license server is installed on a domain controller, after you have added the appropriate accounts to the Terminal Server License Servers group, you must restart the Remote Desktop Licensing service to track or report the usage of RDS Per User CALs.
    Win32 error code: 0x8007054b
    Remote Desktop Session Host server was unable to retrieve users Licensing information from AD. Error 0x8007054b

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........................................

WARNING
    EVENT ID 46
    One or more RD Licensing certificates has expired. Please re-register.
    .................................................. .................................................. ..................

WARNING
    EVENT ID 4106

CAL reporting: Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 : Per User CAL (TS or RDS) - Installed: 35, Issued: 47

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?????...... I HAVE 35 INSTALLED CAL'S, BUT IS THIS SAYING THAT THERE ARE 47 ISSUED OUT?????? I ONLY HAVE 12 USERS LOGGED ON WHEN THIS HAPPENS!!!!??????
    .................................................. .................................................. ........................

Thank you

Last edited by Kobe 310; 14th December 2013, 15:50.

Re: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted

Hi,
    First of all, I would recommended to change the original post and change the Active Directory domain name to something like: domain.local.

A few questions:

a. Did you or someone change the Active Directory configurations (e.g. installation a new TS etc.)?
    b. How many users should use the TS and how many TS licenses your organizations bought?
    c. Please review:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2030310
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

thanks!

1) no
      2) 20 have 35 licenses.

I read that before i posted. I did have an existing user before, that profile had a problem, so i deleted the profile from the terminal server via system properties\user profiles. I then deleted the user from AD. I then recreated the user.
      Last edited by Kobe 310; 14th December 2013, 15:49.

Comment

Hi,

Ok, first of all, you shouldn't delete users without a real reason...
        In the TS license type is correct in the TS license server & the TS servers?
        Did you tried to set each TS to locate the TS license server manually?
        http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/a...ery-part1.html
        Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

the reason i deleted the users was to free up space on the terminal server. The deleted users are no longer with the company.

the terminal server license was set up about 2 years ago. Used train signal course to do it. Everything looked good. I actually have 2 terminal servers on the domain. I've never had a problem until a user got a spyware infection on her profile. so i deleted the profile properly, then recreated it. this is when all of the problems seemed to happen. I also ran Nortons power eraser, which was recommended by the Anti virus i have when it quarantined it. Maybe that screwed it up?

Just now , i went to Microsoft Licensing Server Manager to create a report, and i got an error that it had stopped working...check on line for solution or close. I quickly went to a user that logs on to terminal services to see if i got the error before "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted" and the profile logged in fine, i was hoping it wouldn't. the Microsoft Licensing Server Manager fixed itself, not sure if it was before i logged in using the user or after, did it pretty quick.

I wonder if it is just acting up, or virus got it, or power eraser messed it up

IF I RESTART THE TERMINAL SERVER IT FIXES IT
          Last edited by Kobe 310; 17th December 2013, 17:02.

Comment

Working...
          X