Allow only one session per user?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allow only one session per user?

First I'm new and I'm using this forum for the first time.
    My question:

Is there a possibility to set up users on terminal server to allow only one session? What I mean is it possible not to allow disconnection of an existing session and reopen new by the same user?
    Example:

User login to TS, then he minimize the window for TS and looks something up on local pc, when he is done he goes and click to connect to TS instead of maximizing already open session. When he do that it disconnects already opened session and reconnect to it almost instantly. That would be fine in most cases but in ours it messing with our custom app and also messing printers to which it prints.

Re: Allow only one session per user?

Yes, this is a configuration option in Terminal Services. The path to that particular option varies depending on what version you you and whether you are using a session broker, but you can configure it.

It can also be controlled via GPO.

If I find any links, I'll post them.
    Rules of life:
    1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
    2. Simplicity is godliness
    3. Scale with extreme prejudice

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

You're confusing the difference between a TCP session and a Windows TS session. When the user minimizes the TS session and then initiates a new connection it forces a new TCP connection/session which the server then connects to the existing TS session, hence the users programs are still running when they connect. You already have your TS set to allow only one TS session, otherwise the user would have two TS sessions when they connect the second time.

Comment

Again, you should be able to configure the terminal services to deny reconnecting to active sessions. This would address joeqwerty's statement as well...
        Rules of life:
        1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
        2. Simplicity is godliness
        3. Scale with extreme prejudice

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

Thank you guys for your help. I will post more detail about our server configuration soon and ask for help to deny reconnect when there is active session already running.

Comment

What version of Windows are you running and how many Terminal Servers do you have?
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

we have
              Domain Controler
              Dell Server PE 2900
              intel Xeon cpu x5355 @2.66GHz
              Running windows server 2003 R2
              standard editiion
              service pack 2
              4GB of Ram

Terminal Server
              Dell Server T300
              intel Xeon cpu x3363 @2.83GHz
              Running windows server 2003 R2
              standard editiion
              service pack 2
              3.99 GB of Ram

Comment

Hi,

You will need to use "Session directory server name" role:
                http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301923

and the TS servers (Win 2003) would need to use Enterprise / Data Center Edition.

Moreover, due the fact that Windows 2003 is going EOL I would recommended to move to Windows 2012 R2.
                Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Working...
                X