Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to enable Remote Desktop from 2003 to 2000 Pro

Hello:

This is my first entry here as this seems to be the place online I have found to get Networking and Windows tips that really work, and from the most knowledgeable people.

This is my dilemma. I just installed Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition on my main pc. The old box I want to remote into has Windows 2000 Professional installed. I have used RDP before to connect to other machines that have already been set up on the other end. I can make an RDP connection from the 2000 Pro machine back to my 2003 box fine. However when trying to connect to the Pro machine from 2003 through RDP I get “The client could not connect to the Remote Computer”. I know that if Remote Desktop is not turned on in an XP or 2003 box you will get the same message. Further reading shows that Terminal Services needed to be installed on the Pro box. I used a 2000 Advanced Server cd and ran Adminpak from the I386 directory. It installed most of the Terminal Services Admin tools. The Help notes show that in order to activate 2 remote sessions you need to go to Control Panel and select Add/Remove Programs (then Windows Components) and choose Terminal Services. From there you need to choose Remote Administration Mode. Problem is I don’t even see Terminal Services listed there or anywhere else.

Is there an easy step by step posted somewhere on how to enable this? All I want to do is RDP into this Pro machine from my 2003 box from time to time without having to use a KVM. I can see the computers fine in Network Places (only two with a crossover cable) with TCP/IP.

Am I missing something?

Re: How to enable Remote Desktop from 2003 to 2000 Pro

i dont think its possible to connect to a wink2pro box with RDP.
    to a win2ksrv box it is possible.
    i think a good solution is VNC (freeware)for you or dameware(not free)
    Last edited by yaniv; 25th December 2005, 17:47.
    MCSE 2000 Done
    RHCE Done

Comment

Hmm. That's not good. I will look for a copy of VNC and see what happens.

Comment

Yaniv is right. There is no RDP on W2K Pro. Use a 3rd-party tool such as VNC, Damware, PcAnywhere, Remote Admin and so on.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hey thanks for the help guys. Glad I found out here instead of beating my head against the wall. I downloaded VNC and it works like a charm!!

Thanks
          Paul

Comment

Working...
          X