• Remote services setup in 2008r2

Hello,
    Environment:
    Server: 2008r2
    [Installed server roles: DNS, DHCP, File services, Active Dir. Certificate,
    Active Dir. Dom Services, Remote Desktop Services, Web Server (IIS),
    Network Policy & Access Services]
    Single 32-bit application running on the server
    Client: Windows 7 64-bit (laptops running MSOffice and application)

Sorry in advance for this being on the long-side. If this is in the wrong forum please let me know.
    Let me say from the get-go, I am not a server or network engineer; but am somewhat knowledgeable and I am able to do a lot of things in each of the areas. Unfortunately, I've been put in the position of getting remote access up and working on the server and laptops. And need to do this up on the fly. That said

History: In the past we attempted to setup & use VPN for home users to remotely access an application on the server. After many attempts and working with different scenarios, we ended up with a trashed server that I had to rebuild. Am starting fresh with this issue.
    Here are a few questions based on the outcome wed like to have which is the ability for 2 users to be able to log into the server from home and access an application to do their work.
    1. Is it better to use vpn or remote services (remoteApp)
    2. If vpn, what is the step-by-step instructions for getting this working? In the past wed tried to use Hamachi (is there something better?)
    3. If going the remoteApp route (which is built into windows 2008r2) what are the step-by-step instructions for getting this option to work.
    4. Will it be possible for the users to print from home to the on-site printer without having to have a 3rd party app installed to handle printing?
    I have yet to find any instructions that give a: Do step 1, then step 2, and then step 3... If I know the steps that need to be taken I can do the setup.
    Any help is very much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jae

Re: Remote services setup in 2008r2

1. Is it better to use vpn or remote services (remoteApp) - Its depend on your business and security needs. Citrix + Juniper SSL VPN is the best solution for remote access from my point of view in case that security its needed. Citrix provides easy management, good printing services etc.

2. If vpn, what is the step-by-step instructions for getting this working? In the past wed tried to use Hamachi (is there something better?)

Please contact IT consult for this tasks. You can find nice posts how to in the internet, but its better to use someone that did it in the past.

3. If going the remoteApp route (which is built into windows 2008r2) what are the step-by-step instructions for getting this option to work.

Please contact IT consult for this tasks. You can find nice posts how to in the internet, but its better to use someone that did it in the past.

4. Will it be possible for the users to print from home to the on-site printer without having to have a 3rd party app installed to handle printing?

Yes and No... You can review "Easy Print" capabilities. However, its depand on your hardware type..
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Working...
    X