Printer redirection failing every few days/weeks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer redirection failing every few days/weeks

We have a beautifully set up RDS server 2008 R2 using mostly RemoteApp. Easy printer driver is disabled as we have the proper printer driver installed for the users who are connecting. Redirect only default printer is enabled in GPO.

For the most part, everything is fine. Users log in and out for weeks and the proper printer is redirected. Every now and then starting from when they get to the office at 7am we'll get 10 calls in a row from all different locations saying they can't print. Upon researching we would find (after logging in to a full desktop session to see the printers) that their default printer was not redirected and the server had a random printer set as their default. We would manually log them off, restart the server, and then everything would be fine for a few more weeks. These days we just manually log them off and then restart the print spooler and the next time they log on the printer is properly redirected.

I am making a script to restart the printer spooler every morning at 5am but obviously this is not the proper way to do it. Does anyone have experience with a similar thing? Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Printer redirection failing every few days/weeks

TS server isn't a printer server.... You may need to use a dedicated printer server.
    You can also debug the printer drivers:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-1f37e5140fb2/
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Originally posted by yuval14 View Post
      TS server isn't a printer server.... You may need to use a dedicated printer server.
      You can also debug the printer drivers:
      http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-1f37e5140fb2/

I don't understand. This is a printer that needs to be redirected. I don't understand how I can do that by using a separate print server?

Comment

I am still having problems even with the print spooler restarting every morning. It was working fine since my last post but today and yesterday had tons of users with issues. I think it may have to do with them disconnecting and reconnecting to sessions but I can't be sure. Any way to help these poor souls get their printers without contacting the IT department all the time?

Comment

I'm having pretty much the exact same problem. We allow all printers to be redirected, not just the default.

Our users tend to disconnect and reconnect frequently as well, to the point that I am starting to consider not allowing disconnects in group policy, so that they just get logged off.

Comment

Originally posted by Kryten View Post
            I'm having pretty much the exact same problem. We allow all printers to be redirected, not just the default.

Our users tend to disconnect and reconnect frequently as well, to the point that I am starting to consider not allowing disconnects in group policy, so that they just get logged off.
            Well, if all clients printers are VPN'd to server, you can just install them all onto a print server and deploy to users so they don't need to rely on redirected printers. And then disable completely via GPO

Comment

Unfortunately, a vpn is not an option for us due to the nature of our users.

Comment

Working...
              X