No announcement yet.

Cannot connect to new Terminal Server (clean install)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot connect to new Terminal Server (clean install)

Unable to login to new setup of Windows Server 2003 R2 Terminal Server.

We have just setup a Terminal Server on top of Windows Server 2003. I have configured the firewall to route 3389 to the IP of the new TS. If I login as an ADMIN using Windows 7 RDP from a client over the WAN I connect fine. If I try using the test user account (non-admin) it fails with the following error message:

"To log on to this remote computer, you must have Terminal Server User Access permissions on this computer. By default, members of the Remote Desktop Users group have these permissions. blah, blah, blah."

I have made sure the test user is in the AD user group "Remote Desktop Users" and I have updated the local security policy on the terminal server to allow users in the Remote Desktop Users group to access this server. I keep getting that DENIED error.

I'm sure there is some simple setting to get this to work but I'm out of ideas. What am I missing here?

Just a note: this server is a domain member but NOT a DC (does that matter?)

Re: Cannot connect to new Terminal Server (clean install)

they need to be in "remote desktop users" on the local computer
    easiest way to do thi sis use GPO restricted groups to make sure domain\remotedesktopusers is a member of "remote desktop users (but don't select a target.. just type it in there)"
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point