VPN troubleshooting help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN troubleshooting help

Hi guys, my first time posting here. I have a VPN issue i am troubleshooting. The problematic server is a VM server, OS is winserver 2003. I can't VPN to it, neither can i ping it by IP or FQDN. I connected to the server via Vsphere and started troubleshooting.

First i tried pinging to another box on the same domain and it fails the first three attempts then picks up after that for a while then dies again.

I checked the event log and i see lots of errors for:

Source: MRxSmb
    Type: Error
    Description:
    The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer <computer name> that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{B7545DFC-BA6C-4712-81. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

My first question is that can this be a cause for the VPN not working on the server?

I found a solution to fix the error message but first of all i want to know if this fixes the error before i ask for permission to stop the "Computer Browser" service on the server referenced in the error message.

Also what can i do to troubleshoot VPN issues?

Re: VPN troubleshooting help

Hi,

First, try to connect to the server by using RDP. If its works, please contact the firewall support staff.
    The error that you see should be fixed, but I dont think that it the root cuase for the VPN issue.
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

i can't connect via RDP...that's where the problem is...i don't think it is firewall either....any more ideas for troubleshooting this vpn issue?

Comment

Sorry, can you clarify:
        Are you having problems with VPN (connection from outside your LAN into it, and accessing resources) or with RDP (remoting into a particular server)

For RDP, check:
        RDP enabled (computer properties), you are in the remote desktop operators group (local admins automatically are) and no group or local policies are preventing remote logon
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

RDP is enabled, i can connect via vpshere actually butno one can rdp to it still....

Comment

What are you using to VPN???

Firewalls in between???

Can you ping the server???

Is RDP turned on and the user added to the RDP Users???

vSphere (Which i'm actually hoping is the client software) is nothing to do with RDP. The vSphere client is your console, think KVM, to the machine.

Comment

OK, i did more troubleshooting today. I restarted the server and when it came back up i was able to remote to it, then it went dead to rdp connections after a little while.

While i was in my session i noticed a lot of freezing and unresponsive clicks, but i had the vshpere session open also and there was no freezing what so ever in that session. I have event log open to see if there is any service failing that could affect the rdp connections and i noticed:

WMI performance adapter service entered a stopped state.
              AutoExNT entered a stopped state
              Volume shadow copy entered a stopped state (don't think this has anything to do with it)
              VMware snapsho service entered a stopped state (don't think has anything to do with it)

now i plan on looking into "remote access connection manager" service...it is started and fine, but the "remote auto access connection manager" is not started...should this be started?

Thanks...

Comment

Hi,

Can you provide a list of software that installed on the VM?
                Did you review the firewall logs? Do you use IPS module in the firewall?
                What is the hardware spec. of the VMware and the VMware version?
                Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Working...
                X