No announcement yet.

Yet another appeal for printing help!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another appeal for printing help!

Server 2008 R2 / Windows 7 SP1 clients

Easy Print not working - no error message, nothing in Event Logs. Tried to print from a RemoteApp or from a Remote Desktop - same issue.

The printer appears in the print dialog, but when I click Print, nothing happens.

Applied recommended security to spool\printers folder.
    Confimed that .RDP fie contains line: redirectprinters:i:1

Looked at the RD configuration to make sure that Printer Redirection wasn't disabled.

Went through the Vera Noest page, and the links it suggests - can't find anything useful. Printing failure is for all RD users, and tried with two different printers. Spool service is running on both client and server.

Friggin' Microsoft products have become so convoluted, it's near impossible to make sure I have checked all the appropriate places!

Would appreciate any assistance anyone can provide - geting tired of paying MS hundreds of dollars or waiting for a week for assistance to solve every little issue.

Thanks for reading...
    Last edited by rpelletier; 26th July 2011, 17:59.

Re: Yet another appeal for printing help!

What is there printers models + drivers + did you installed Framework on the client side?
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn:, Blog:

My understanding was that Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 SP1 were EasyPrint-ready - no extra framework needs to be installed.

My system at home has .NET 3.51 installed and patched. My printer is an HP Laserjet P1606dn.

My clients also have Windows 7 SP1. Their printer is an HP OfficeJet 4500 - one of those desktop all-in-one things.

I would tell them their printer is probably not compatible, as I made it clear from the beginning that they should allow me to give some input when choosing a printer if they wanted it to print remotely.

However, since neither of these models works, and since Server 2008 R2 and Win7 SP1 should work without fuss, I tend to blame my server configuration, rather than their choice of printer.

Getting pretty frustrating - this server installation has taken about twice as long to complete as I estimated, and I really want to get it finished.

Did you installed SP1 on the 2008 R2? How did you enabled Easy Print?
        Last edited by yuval14; 27th July 2011, 18:04.
        Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn:, Blog:

Yes, SP1 was part of the installation.

I have seen those two documents, and been through them countless times.

I am convinced that the answer is something simple, but am unable to determine what that could be...

Thanks for your reply.

Installed a trial of TSPrint.

Downloaded a file from them, installed on server - no configuration, just install, click OK a few times - done.

Downloaded a smaller file on each workstation. Install, click OK,OK, Finish.

Tried to print - worked immediately.

The whole thing took 10 minutes, and it just worked fine.

Microsoft should be shot and peed on. I don't even know how many non-paid hours I invested in getting their so-called "Easy Print" to work!

Anyway, I'm not connected with TSPrint in any way - just thought I'd tell you. Others may be able to recommend others that work well too - I hear ThinPrint is also a good product.
            TSPrint costs US$199 (per server, unlimited users). About half what a call to Microsoft Support costs.