Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen Processes in Terminal Services running on Windows Server 2008 R2 on VMWare ESX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen Processes in Terminal Services running on Windows Server 2008 R2 on VMWare ESX

Hi first time post so i hope you can help me

I have a customer who is running a Virtual Machine with 3 Virtual Servers. The Virtual Server in question is running Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit Standard with SP1 as a Terminal Services Server

The Server hardware is a Fujitsu Primergy TX200 S6 2.13 Ghz 4 core Xeon Processor with 16 Gb Ram

It is running VMware ESXi 4.1.0

The Virtual Server has unlimited CPU usage and has a reservation of 4Gb ram.

The customer is running a 3rd party application (32 bit) and printing only on this TS, with around 50 users connected at any one time.

The problem is that every so often the server will leave processes running in TS even though the user has logged off. The processes are not associated with any current session most of the time and can be any process that gets stuck such as windows processes or the third party application. The majority of the time its a third party process which makes sense as thats whats being used most of the time.

When a process is left running that isn't being used it uses 30 to 40 percent of the cpu and if there is a few of these processes frozen then it can max out the processor and all the users report very slow activity.

When everything is running normally the cpu is running 1 to 2 percent with occasional spikes to around 15 to 20 percent. Memory usage is at around 5gb.
    Is there a solution to this issue as i am having to terminate processes manually every couple of hours.

Thanking you in anticipation of an answer.

Mark

Re: Frozen Processes in Terminal Services running on Windows Server 2008 R2 on VMWare

Why not to fix/replace the printing software?!
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Re: Frozen Processes in Terminal Services running on Windows Server 2008 R2 on VMWare

Originally posted by yuval14 View Post
      Why not to fix/replace the printing software?!
      Its not a printing issue. Its an issue to do with Windows processes not clearing in terminal services when the user logs off terminal services.

Comment

How could the guest have unlimited CPU? Are you referring to reservations/limits? How many vCPU's does the guest have? How much memory? Are you using RemoteApps?

Comment

The guest doesn't have any limitations on how many cores it can use. It can use 4 virtual cores on the xeon processor.

It can also use the maximum 16 gbs of memory and has reserved to it 4 gb that only that particular guest can use.

Im not using remoteApps. Im using RDP clients, which are version 6.0 or above.

Comment

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same issue as you with the processor trace.

I have around 12 VMs on a single Virtual Appliance. All are configured exactly the same:

1vCPU
            4Gig RAM (Dedicated)
            Windows Server 2008R2
            All latest Windows patches
            Remote Desktop Services Role installed

I'm having an issue on one machine with performance, and to monitor, got all users off the appliance, and monitored processor usage. When idle, processor spikes every few seconds to 20%. I have attached a shot from taskmgr.

The process that appears to be doing this is the System process - so obviously I can't kill that!

Have run several virus/malware scans etc and the box is completely clean.

The thing that's baffling me is that I have several other boxes running the same processes with the same configuration on the same appliance, and when they sit idle, they run along with a trace 1-2% of CPU constantly.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

what is the third party application ?
              I also have problems but is a application problem not windows/terminal services.(virtual and physical server same problem)
              Usualy are application error (.net application :P)
              Even if is not a printer error you can try to change the default printer. (for my application this was the "solution")

Comment

Working...
              X