No announcement yet.

Redirecting user profiles on Terminal Server 2008

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redirecting user profiles on Terminal Server 2008

I'm creating a new terminal server in Windows 2008 R2 and would like to configure the following disk setup:

* C: 40 GB for the system partition.
    * D: 250 GB for the user profiles.

We have around 100 users using our existing TS server which is overloading the old hardware so I'm planning the above setup. I am thus looking for a way to redirect user profiles to the D drive of the new TS server and found this page ( which states:

A new Group Policy setting is available for RDS in WS08 R2 that limits the size of the overall roaming profile cache (located in %systemdrive%\users directory). If the size of the profile cache exceeds the configured size, RDS deletes the least recently used copies of roaming profiles until the overall cache goes below the quota. The policy setting is found in the following location: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services\Terminal Server\Profiles\Limit the size of the entire roaming user profile cache.
    I'm looking at a new GPO to redirect user profiles on this server, however the GPO only shows the following branch:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\

There is no Terminal Server sub-branch.

What am I missing?
    +-- JDMils
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades

Re: Redirecting user profiles on Terminal Server 2008

You can use dsa.msc to point users to a roaming profile. However, why you dont try to use folder redirect?! It will provide a better perfomance and less overhead...
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn:, Blog: