Help with TS 2003 in SBS 2008 R2 w/roaming profiles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with TS 2003 in SBS 2008 R2 w/roaming profiles

I am digging myself a hole in the ground and need some help.

My customer had SBS 2003 and a TS 2003. The network is all roaming profiles. I replaced the SBS 2003 server with SBS 2008 R2. I manually rebuilt all the roaming user profiles saving only the desktop and favorites. I have folder redirection enabled for the Desktop and My Documents.

I joined the TS 2003 server to the domain, enabled the TS role, installed the TS licensing server locally and reactivated the TS CALs.. I wiped out all the old user profiles on the TS because they are all rebuilt on the SBS 2008 server. I did not have time to put the TS into its own OU and ock it down. In the properties for the users profile, there is no profile location defined in the 'termiinal services' tab.

When I log onto the TS 2003 it creates the users profile c:\documents and settings as {username}. Aother time the user logs on, another profile is created which looks like {username}.{domain}. Abut half of the users now have multiple profiles that look like {username}.{domain}.001, {username}.{domain}.002, {username}.{domain}.003.

In the properties for the folder Doucument and Settings I gave full permissions to 'Everyboody', 'Remote Desktop User, and even 'Domain User' but I still have the problem. Eventually the TS becomes slow and users can't log on because no RPC server is availailable. I have checked the multiple profiles being created. For {username} everyone has permissions. The same for {username}.{domain}. When I look into the profiles with 000, 001, 002 the user has full access and so does SYSTEM and local administrator but no other user or group is listed in the security properties.

My plan is to replace the TS but I can't do that until the fall. What can I do to fix this? Do I have to move all by users into a share on the TS called c:\users and then define this in the users profile on the SBS server? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Help with TS 2003 in SBS 2008 R2 w/roaming profiles

1. There is no reason today to work with roaming profile. Please use folder redirect feather instead.
    2. If you like to use roaming profile, then use it for TS only.
    3. Please note that the profile of Win 2003 isnt the same as Win 2008/R2 - so this can lead to problems.
    4. Proper design is a must for correct TS operation (e.g. Putting the TS in unique OU with GPO etc.).
    5. I can also recommanded to move to Win 2008 R2 TS + moving to regular Windows server (not SBS...).
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Everyone is a terminal server user, both local users and remote users so I hvae little choice in the matter. Given what I have to work with, how can I correct the present problem with the multiple profiles being created on the TS? A TS 2008 is an option but not until the fall. Thanks.

Comment

Hi,

You mixed up the profiles of Win 2008 and 2003...
        I recommended to get a local IT support from IT advisor...
        Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

The SBS 2008 network has a mixture of XP and Windows 2007 clients so the XP profiles and .V2 profile appear to co-exist without problems on the LAN. The problem with the .000, .001, .002 profiles on the Server 2003 TS only happes to some of the users, not all of them. I have not put my finger on what differentiates the two. A Server 2008 R2 TS is going in this summer so it is just a matter of 'getting by' until then. Thanks for your assistance from your earier posts.

Comment

Removing the roaming profile seems to correct the problem. I have tested this on three users so far and there is no duplication of the user profile on the TS. I have folder redirection enabled for the desktop and the users home folder is mapped to a network drive in the SBS profile properties.

Thank you for the help, yuval14

Comment

Working...
            X