Start Menu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start Menu

I have setup a couple of Win 2003 Terminal servers. I have a GPO setup to control what users can and can't see. One thing I cant seem to remove from the users logging in is the Accessories folder from the start menu. I have made the changes to the GPO and still no luck. I have several Win 2000 serves that are our production servers that removes everything from the Start menu. I have tried everyhthing but no luck.

Anyone have this issue before?

Re: Start Menu

Not seen it before, but this strikes me as an ideal place to redirect the start menu through group policy, either to a network share or to a local folder, then you control exactly what is in it
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Not seen it before, but this strikes me as an ideal place to redirect the start menu through group policy, either to a network share or to a local folder, then you control exactly what is in it

Please explain what you mean? In GPO I have the Start Menu>Accerrories turned off, how would you redirect the folders? As much detail as you can becase I have never done this before.

Let me ask you this. Would the user profile have anything to do with the Start menu? I keep all users profiles on our SAN. Would deleteing the profile and letting the log in rebuild it change what users are seeing?

Comment

Create a group policy applied to the terminal servers
        Navigate to User Configuration -- Windows Settings -- Folder Redirection and locate "Start Menu"
        Redirect to folder you control -- copy start menu items from the TS to that folder
        Apply loopback processing as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260370
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

In the past when I couldn't hide something I would outright delete it. I'd probably get scolded by some but if it's gotta go, it's gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by chip743 View Post
            In the past when I couldn't hide something I would outright delete it. I'd probably get scolded by some but if it's gotta go, it's gotta go!

I tried doing that but the Programs menu keeps coming back, you know like the bad girlfriend lol!!! I have tried everything and I just cannot get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              Create a group policy applied to the terminal servers
              Navigate to User Configuration -- Windows Settings -- Folder Redirection and locate "Start Menu"
              Redirect to folder you control -- copy start menu items from the TS to that folder
              Apply loopback processing as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260370

Thanks Ossian I'll give that a try..

Comment

If that doesn't work, you could try my (beta) Access based Enumeration Plan.

Google 2003 Server Access Based Enumeration and install the patch is it is not already there, and then search the forums here for Access Based Enumeration and Common (All users) Folders (Sorry, I'm too new to post urls...) and then set the ntfs permissions on Accesories so that most users don't have any defined rights on the folder.

Comment

He's referring to this post: http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=52736

Comment

Working...
                  X