No announcement yet.

Network default user profile group policy

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network default user profile group policy

Hi All

We have just installed a server 2008 remote desktop services server environment. I have read on microsoft's site regarding creating a Network Default user profile from which the server can pull a default profile from. However, I would like to change the location of this default profile from the \\<Server_name>\NETLOGON location to another share I have created on my network. I was wondering if this is possible to do so through a group policy as I plan to also add another remote desktop server sometime soon. I cannot seem to find any references to such a group policy existing. Am I wrong?

Re: Network default user profile group policy

I don't thin k it can be done. A default user profile can be created from one of two locations:

1. The NETLOGON share on your domain controller(s), as you've stated.

2. The local Default User profile on each RDS server.

2nd joe, but could you possibly setup a folder redirection to the new location?

I do not know if folder redirection works for network system folders, but if its that important that the files not be kept there, you could try that.

If in asking for more details about a problem I seem to be rude, think about it this way, If I did not have to ask, I would not of been forced to be rude.

Please assume anything and everything I say to be wrong unless I have provided links and evidence, or you have done the same.
      IE: you blow your server up following my advice, not my bad

A OP is bad if I can go to and answer the question by pressing 4 buttons. "Ctrl +c, Ctrl +v".

I guess that you dont have to use netlogon share:
        Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn:, Blog:

Hi All

Thanks for the information and tips. I think I'll stick with the option of a local profile as I wouldn't want all the XP PC's picking up the profile and the profiles are intended for the RDS Servers only.
          I think it is a pity that it has been set this way as I think it would work nicely, such as differing profiles for each department.

Much appreciated for all you help.