Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about RD Web Access with 2 diff 2008 servers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about RD Web Access with 2 diff 2008 servers.

Hello, this is my first post, and I'm also new to windows Server in general, but I've successfully setup 2 servers in a small active directory domain. (25-30 internal users).

I have a Main server running Windows Server 2008 SBS Standard, which manages my active directory tree, exchange 2007, and Remote Web Workplace, and DNS.

I have a additional server that is running Server 2008 R2 Standard that is used for RemoteApp. Currently everyone in our office uses 1 piece of software from our RemoteApp Server. We desire the ability to use this RemoteApp from outside of our office via RD Web Access.

My main server (SBS 2008, lets call it SERVER) has the TS Web Access role installed so people can access their desktops remotely, and their outlook web access via a browser. Currently everyone accesses these features via remote.mydomain.com

My RemoteApp Server (Lets call it RDSERVER), has Remote Desktop Gateway, Remote Desktop Licensing, Remote Desktop Services, and World Wide Web Publishing Service installed on it.

My question is, how do I allow people to access the RemoteApps on RDSERVER from outside the intranet? Is it possible to include RemoteApps from RDSERVER into my "Remote Web Workplace" on SERVER?

I've read several guides for setting up RD Web Access, and TS Web Access, but they are both very confusing since I'm working with two different versions of 2008. I need to know if I need to just setup another subdomain for RemoteApps? if so, how do I forward IIS on SERVER to the RD Web Access on RDSERVER?

Thanks!
    UnderDawg

Re: Question about RD Web Access with 2 diff 2008 servers.

There is a post on the TechNet SBS forum which allows you to add the Terminal Server as a computer in the "connect to" list for all of the users to access. I am unable to post the link, but find the official technet blog for sbs, then look for "how to make terminal servers in application sharing mode appear in RWW. Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi Underdawg, and welcome.

Can't you just create an MSI of the remote app then email it to the external users to install on their machines?

I know this isn't as clean as the gateway method but it works.

What firewall do you use at the head office? Do you have a Sonicwall? You can also have a nice clean SSL VPN portal there with the remote apps as shortcuts when the users log on which I find nice.

Ste
      Steven Roberts
      IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

There is a post on the TechNet SBS forum which allows you to add the Terminal Server as a computer in the "connect to" list for all of the users to access. I am unable to post the link, but find the official technet blog for sbs, then look for "how to make terminal servers in application sharing mode appear in RWW. Hope this helps.
        This will just allow people to directly connect to the server using remote desktop, not as clean as using a RemoteApp - any way that this is one step closer to making RemoteApp work remotely?

Can't you just create an MSI of the remote app then email it to the external users to install on their machines?

I know this isn't as clean as the gateway method but it works.

What firewall do you use at the head office? Do you have a Sonicwall? You can also have a nice clean SSL VPN portal there with the remote apps as shortcuts when the users log on which I find nice.
        I tested the MSI method, but it just says "The remote computer could not be found" - probably considering that I can't access my rdserver from a FQDN from outside the network. I can access the main server via remote.mydomain.com, but not my rdserver, as I've not set it up - and I'm not quite sure where to begin. Setup another subdomain?

Also, I do have a Sonicwall, I've never setup a VPN before, but I understand the gist of it - do I need any client software installed on the PC to connect to it? remote computers will likely use XP Home.

Thanks guys, it feels good to get support for this - I'm a hardcore nerd, and Server 2008 is one of the only things I've ran into that gives me a "lost" feeling.

Comment

Working...
        X