No announcement yet.

Remote desktop printer problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote desktop printer problem

OK, I have strange issue with printers when accessing Windows XP via RDP. I have installed drivers and all is working just fine.
    We have a problem with application used by our accounting staff.

If I run this application as normal user with limited permissions it starts application and spoolsv.exe starts using 45% cpu and this aplication does the same thing...

If I run this application as admin there is no problems at all...

Also if I disable resources (printers) before connecting to this XP machine all works OK...
    Any idea where problem can be?
    I have already reinstalled drivers on both machines...

Re: Remote desktop printer problem

By the way? is your printer is network printer which uses TCPIP?

can you explain further your strange issues?

Printer is TCP/IP.
      There is no problem with other apps, just this one.

Problem is simple
      When accounting application is ran as NON admin, spoolsv.exe takes 45% CPU and accounting app takes also around 45-50%.
      And application does not work...

If I open PDF file or word file I can print it normally with no problems...

Strange one...

Did you tied to contact the accounting software support staff?!
        Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn:, Blog:

They cannot help me, don`t know whats wrong

I tried almost everything and will probably rebuild this xp from scratch...

I would run (as an ordinary user) ProcessExplorer and then start the problematic software. This way you will be able to see what threads and DLLs are also needed by the software and maybe will be able to understand where this behavior is coming from. Of course, you will need to filter the output for the specific software, otherwise you will be flooded with data.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Can you use the application to print locally? Is it a problem with the appilcation on that computer?

The printer your printing too, is it local to the host computer (the one being connected TO), or is it Local to the client computer?

Does this accounting program use encryption when printing over a network?

Also, check to see if the program creates a temp file somewhere, the admin can write to it fine, so no problem, the locked down user can not.

As Sorinso said, grab process explorer, see what being accessed by what, and apply permissions as needed. Also, as a test I would give the users full access to the folder containing the app, all the windows temp directorys, as well as there whole user profile folder, and if that did not work, I would remove all access rescritions to the c drive.

Remember to re-apply them all.

If in asking for more details about a problem I seem to be rude, think about it this way, If I did not have to ask, I would not of been forced to be rude.

Please assume anything and everything I say to be wrong unless I have provided links and evidence, or you have done the same.
              IE: you blow your server up following my advice, not my bad

A OP is bad if I can go to and answer the question by pressing 4 buttons. "Ctrl +c, Ctrl +v".

Will do exactly as you suggested!