• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mursel
    started a topic Terminal Server and SBS 2003 - connection problem

Terminal Server and SBS 2003 - connection problem

Hi all,

I have activated ts server on one machine and on another machine I have SBS 2003 as DC and ISA. Problem is that I cant connect to ts server from any machine within domain and also outside from internet. When i provide username and password and press connect it stays for about 2-3 minutes and then shows error message:

Remote Desktop Disconnected

This computer can't connect to the remote computer.

The two computers couldn't connect in the amount of time allotted. Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact ... etc

I created rules so everyone can access TS from inside/outside.

Any thoughts?

• tehcamel
    replied
    Re: Terminal Server and SBS 2003 - connection problem

unless you have a really serious need, consider NOT publishing RDP (port 3389) to the internet as a whole, even via ISA.

Use a VPN instead perhaps, or TSGateway, something like that maybe

RDP is a relatively insecure protocol (see tsgrinder)

Leave a comment:

• mursel
    replied
    Re: Terminal Server and SBS 2003 - connection problem [SOLVED]

To conclude this I fixed my problem with connecting remote offices to my TS server.
    I used secedit to reset local security settings on my TS and recreated ISA server publishing rule for my TS server.

I know, I'm gonna anyway re-install TS machine.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• mursel
    replied

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
    I definitely concur with gforceindustries - if you've got a trojan, unless you've got a definite known-good system to roll back to, you have to start again.

It's simply not worth risking the ongoing security of the organisation.

I am pleased that you managed to work out what was causing your issue though
    Well ... it seems that i'm gonna reinstall TS ... there is no any important data on this server as it was served only to run program over rdp which is installed on DC anyway...

thank you once again...

Leave a comment:

• tehcamel
    replied

I definitely concur with gforceindustries - if you've got a trojan, unless you've got a definite known-good system to roll back to, you have to start again.

It's simply not worth risking the ongoing security of the organisation.

I am pleased that you managed to work out what was causing your issue though

Leave a comment:

• mursel
    replied

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
    If you've had a trojan, even if you think you've been able to remove it, it is still a good idea to flatten the machine, reinstall and restore from a known clean backup. Even if you get rid of the problem, you might not be able to get rid of all of the damage it caused.
    Ok here's another update... I exported reg keys relevant to TS from my DC machine and imported on terminal server. Now I can connect anywhere from local network, but not from outside.

I went to TS configuration and under permission tab i added user groups, but it wont connect. It shows me this error on my home computer:

remote desktop cant connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons:

1. remote access to the server is not enabled
    2. the remote computer is turned off
    3. the remote computer is not available on the network

any clues?

Also I can connect from outside to DC without problem.
    Last edited by mursel; 18th June 2010, 10:38.

Leave a comment:

• gforceindustries
    replied

If you've had a trojan, even if you think you've been able to remove it, it is still a good idea to flatten the machine, reinstall and restore from a known clean backup. Even if you get rid of the problem, you might not be able to get rid of all of the damage it caused.

Leave a comment:

• mursel
    replied

Unfortunately trojan currupted not only terminal services server but also registry. Now I can't even install TS service. When I look under services.msc there is no more Terminal Services service, just licensing service.

Leave a comment:

• mursel
    replied

did you reboot after reinstalling TS etc?

Also, did you have any luck capturing the network traffic to try and analyse where in the stream it's falling over?

Damned... just a day before those problems my event log was full of brute force attacks on my exchange server, so i blocked whole range of ip's which are originated from china using access rule on my cisco router. Well today using network monitor as you suggested i found that i got somehow infected with Trojan.Delf which listened on port 3389 pointing to one of the ip's i blocked. I removed trojan and known problem with "time allotted" gone, but problem with "saving permissions change" persist. It seems that trojan somehow corrupted my system policy or something else... i'm not sure right now, but i'll explore more before conclusion.

thanks again...

Leave a comment:

• tehcamel
    replied

did you reboot after reinstalling TS etc?

Also, did you have any luck capturing the network traffic to try and analyse where in the stream it's falling over?

Leave a comment:

• mursel
    replied

Well I re-installed terminal services and terminal services licensing and activated again with Per User licensing mode. There were no problems, but now when i try to set permissions using terminal services configuration I'm getting "Unable to save permission changes on name_of_connection. Unspecified error". Also under TS manager I cant connect it shows "You could not be authenticated on this server."

I'm not sure what else i could do beside reinstalling whole machine.

thanks in advance

Leave a comment:

• mursel
    replied

yes, you would need per-user licensing mode.
    That's where a decision comes into it.. Do you have more computers accessing the terminal server, or more users?

For instance in my last job, it would not be unusual for me to use either my work desktop, my personal laptop, my old personal laptop, or even another server, to remote onto a terminal server.
    In that instance, i would need 4 device licenses, but only one user license..

(I hate licensing.)
    Well I'm at home now and I can only access DC, so when I come back to work Ill try to re-add TS role and i'll post results...

thanks again for help...

Leave a comment:

• tehcamel
    replied

yes, you would need per-user licensing mode.
    That's where a decision comes into it.. Do you have more computers accessing the terminal server, or more users?

For instance in my last job, it would not be unusual for me to use either my work desktop, my personal laptop, my old personal laptop, or even another server, to remote onto a terminal server.
    In that instance, i would need 4 device licenses, but only one user license..

(I hate licensing.)

Leave a comment:

• mursel
    replied

USER cals. And you must have an open license agreement

So i have to use Per User licensing mode?

Yes we have Open license agreement documentation, but I wasnt sure what kind of licenses are provided.

Leave a comment:

• tehcamel
    replied

USER cals. And you must have an open license agreement

Leave a comment:

Working...
X