Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminal Server and SBS 2003 - connection problem

Hi all,

I have activated ts server on one machine and on another machine I have SBS 2003 as DC and ISA. Problem is that I cant connect to ts server from any machine within domain and also outside from internet. When i provide username and password and press connect it stays for about 2-3 minutes and then shows error message:

Remote Desktop Disconnected

This computer can't connect to the remote computer.

The two computers couldn't connect in the amount of time allotted. Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact ... etc

I created rules so everyone can access TS from inside/outside.

Any thoughts?

Re: Terminal Server and SBS 2003 - connection problem

what OS is your terminal server running?

What happens if you try to connect to the console ?
    use: start > run > mstsc /console

have you ever been able to logon to the TS Server remotely ?
    What about via the physical host.. ? If you can get on via the physical host, then check out the event logs, it may give some hints.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      what OS is your terminal server running?

What happens if you try to connect to the console ?

have you ever been able to logon to the TS Server remotely ?
      What about via the physical host.. ? If you can get on via the physical host, then check out the event logs, it may give some hints.
      1. what OS is your terminal server running?

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise

2. What happens if you try to connect to the console ?

Same message happens...

3. This started to happen few days ago with license corrupt error, but i'd found somewhere on internet how to resolve that using add/remove Terminal Server Licenses Service and after i activated and isntalled licences successfully.

4. There is no any error event in event log..

Thanks

Comment

When you try and use the MSTSC application on your workstation, check out the "Advanced" tab, and make sure the clients aren't expecting network level authentication, or trying to use a remote gateway.

Also, log on to your SBS server and try and open an RDP session to the terminal server...

my environment is 2008, so the instructions may not be spot on:
        Open terminal services configuration (try tscc.msc)
        find the RDP-TCP connection, and the properties
        make sure the security layer is relevant to your configuration\

Try a reboot
        If it's still not working, try creating a new RDP-tcp connection?

I'm sorry I can;t give you complete specifics on this from where I am.. but hopefully I've given you some tips and pointers in the right direction.

If this is all failing, try rolling back to before you applied that fix you found on the internet..

also - what licensing mode do you have selected?
        Last edited by tehcamel; 15th June 2010, 13:54.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Licensing mode is set Per Device...

Unfortunately nothing works ... Ill try once again to deactivate and activate TS...

Comment

fire up wireshark, or netmon, and start lookin at the packets, see if you could see anything ?

Comment

fire up wireshark, or netmon, and start lookin at the packets, see if you could see anything ?
              Are these Per User license: Windows Terminal Svr CAL 2003 WinNT Sngl OLP NL User CAL

or Per Device?

Comment

USER cals. And you must have an open license agreement

Comment

USER cals. And you must have an open license agreement

So i have to use Per User licensing mode?

Yes we have Open license agreement documentation, but I wasnt sure what kind of licenses are provided.

Comment

yes, you would need per-user licensing mode.
                    That's where a decision comes into it.. Do you have more computers accessing the terminal server, or more users?

For instance in my last job, it would not be unusual for me to use either my work desktop, my personal laptop, my old personal laptop, or even another server, to remote onto a terminal server.
                    In that instance, i would need 4 device licenses, but only one user license..

(I hate licensing.)

Comment

yes, you would need per-user licensing mode.
                      That's where a decision comes into it.. Do you have more computers accessing the terminal server, or more users?

For instance in my last job, it would not be unusual for me to use either my work desktop, my personal laptop, my old personal laptop, or even another server, to remote onto a terminal server.
                      In that instance, i would need 4 device licenses, but only one user license..

(I hate licensing.)
                      Well I'm at home now and I can only access DC, so when I come back to work Ill try to re-add TS role and i'll post results...

thanks again for help...

Comment

Well I re-installed terminal services and terminal services licensing and activated again with Per User licensing mode. There were no problems, but now when i try to set permissions using terminal services configuration I'm getting "Unable to save permission changes on name_of_connection. Unspecified error". Also under TS manager I cant connect it shows "You could not be authenticated on this server."

I'm not sure what else i could do beside reinstalling whole machine.

thanks in advance

Comment

did you reboot after reinstalling TS etc?

Also, did you have any luck capturing the network traffic to try and analyse where in the stream it's falling over?

Comment

did you reboot after reinstalling TS etc?

Also, did you have any luck capturing the network traffic to try and analyse where in the stream it's falling over?

Damned... just a day before those problems my event log was full of brute force attacks on my exchange server, so i blocked whole range of ip's which are originated from china using access rule on my cisco router. Well today using network monitor as you suggested i found that i got somehow infected with Trojan.Delf which listened on port 3389 pointing to one of the ip's i blocked. I removed trojan and known problem with "time allotted" gone, but problem with "saving permissions change" persist. It seems that trojan somehow corrupted my system policy or something else... i'm not sure right now, but i'll explore more before conclusion.

thanks again...

Comment

Unfortunately trojan currupted not only terminal services server but also registry. Now I can't even install TS service. When I look under services.msc there is no more Terminal Services service, just licensing service.

Comment

Working...
                              X