Terminal server locks up when users log off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminal server locks up when users log off

We are having an issue with our Windows Server 2003 Terminal server, and it has been causing the machine to lock up for a short period of time whenever a user logs out of a remote session.

It appears to be a system-wide issue, as other users connected remotely experience the delay, as well as a local user at the server console. It doesn't seem to happen when the Administrator account log off, however it does for every other user. I've tried checking the event log for any errors or messages that might point me in the right direction, but as of yet I've had no such luck.

Enabled Userenv logging without much in the way of results as well. Finally, I've tried poking around with ProcMon, but was unsuccessful, because it threw way too much information back at me, and I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

I'm wondering if perhaps it has something to do with group policy, or printers that we have deployed via GPO. The weird thing is that the system only locks up when someone logs off...not logs in. What the question is, what is it doing when they are logging off?

Thanks in advance.

Casey

Re: Terminal server locks up when users log off

you mention that it doesn't happen for the administrator: is this the DA account, or a local administrator?

Also- does your domain use profiles?
    Could you try creating an account without a profile, and see if you can replicate the issue?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

It doesn't happen for the DA account. We only use local profiles, no roaming profiles or anything like that.

Comment

what about logon/logoff scripts?

Try creating a new account regardless, and see if the same problem persists

I'm trying to knock out things it could be, to help us get closer to the issue

DEfinitely nothing in the event logs.. not something like "registry still in use and could not be unloaded" etc?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Log off scripts...no, but we do have one login script that runs and basically synchronizes the time and maps network drives.

I've noticed that sometimes when you log into the TS it will say "could not map all network drives", and then when you click the message to have it show you which ones are connected, everything seems to be connected just fine.

I'll do some further testing with the user accounts and see if I can narrow it down. The thing is, we re-structured our OUs several months ago by department, machine, and user...however we left certain system accounts such as Administrator in the default location...also there aren't really many GPOs that directly impact the Admin, which is why I am sort of thinking it is a GPO problem...but its just very strange that it only locks up when people go to log off. The machine is fully up to date, and I haven't found a whole lot out there explaining the problem we're having.

Comment

Please dont use a sync time command on the TS. I guess that this may create a Kerberos time issue.
            Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Working...
            X