• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer queue and spooler issues

Hi all,

Ok, our domain consists of:
    • 2 x 2k3 TS's
    • 2 x 2k3 DC (one running as a printserver)
    • 1 x 2k8 (running exchange 2k7)
    • 1 x 2k3 storageserver
    Right, we seem to have constant issues with our 4 konica minolta magicolor 2430/2530 A4 colour laser networked printers.
    The queues would often become blocked on any of the printers at seemingly any random time. There could be 20 jobs in there ready to print, or just 1 excel file of 28kb in size that would just sit there and not print.
    Most users log in via TS and they obviously add the printer from the directory list into their profile.
    However, i have tried installing the printers on the actual TS so each user profile already has the printer, but it makes no difference.
    We never used to have a problem and the magicolors were quick and reliable. But now they're a complete PITA. And i really couldn't tell you what has changed that may have upset them, there has been plenty so putting my finger on it would be nigh on impossible.
    The DC where they are installed (printserver) on kept coming up with 100s of tiny dialog boxes saying "CMP.exe error", all behind each other (i.e. i click OK to close, but there is another behind it) I googled this error but found nothing informative.
    I did however find something once that hinted at an issue with Konica printers. I applied the suggested fix, rebooted the DC and the dialog boxes went away and haven't come back since. BUT the problem with queues blocking up still remains.
    To clear this i click to delete the offending print job, restart the print spooler, then delete the job again and that clears it and allows the rest of the queue to print. But i'm doing this maybe 6 times a day across all 4 printers.
    I cannot for the life of me remember the fix i applied, and i can't find it again either.

I will contact Konica Minolta, but thought i'd also post here as i don't hold out much hope that they can help.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Re: Printer queue and spooler issues

Hi,

I personally wouldn't use a DC as a Print Server. Although this doesn't answer your question directly, Is it too much ask to move the role to the Storage server let's say? That way, there is a possibility, you may kill two birds with one stone.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hi,

well i DID contact Konica and straight away they gave me a solution. Turns out i was just using a 'Generic network driver' instead of the 'Minolta network driver' for all my printers. So, i've altered that. If by the end of the day i've not had any blockages then i can be confident that its fixed.

I'm not sure that printservices on a DC is an issue tbh. Its a fairly mundane task isn't it? I mean, you can put printservices on a really low-end pc, so i'd be surprised if it would throws up issues on a DC. However, i'm always learning so if there is any evidence to suggest not, then i'm willing to look further into it.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Glad you sorted it.
        It is not a case of the DC not being able to run as a printer server but more of a security consideration. Ideally I would only use a DC for Directory services, possibly name resolution (DNS, WINS) and maybe DHCP.
        More services run on the box more wholepunches from the security viewpoint.
        But that's beyond the scope of this thread I suppose.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
        X