Session Broker with double logins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Session Broker with double logins

Hi for a client of mine I've been setting up a TS Farm(2008 server R2).

Some preliminary info:

Load balancing with Session broker.

I have 2 Terminal servers with an installation of Server 2008 R2 Standard
    I have a DC with an installation of SBS2003

Most clients are either hp thinclients or workstations. They are not working with this implementation yet.

Due to these limited resources, I have session broker running on one of the 2008 TS servers. Also I have the NLB running in Multicast (this is against recommendations due to the network traffic it creates.)

I would like to get rid of multicast, but I doubt this is possible, having a shared mac address would prevent the servers from communicating with each other. Correct me if i'm wrong.

The issue/problem at hand:

I decided to implement NLB for extra loadbalancing and to prevent blackholes. So far so good. All the Load balancing stuff works great, My farm is connectable, I've even got some apps running.

Now, when i was testing my loadbalancing. I noticed that when I logged in I got redirected except now I have to login again.

I already excluded NLB as a possible problem. Also googled on this issue, but havent found a resolution yet. Except to use TS gateway. Also there was something about using a dated RDP client, this is not an issue here, i'm running with 6.1

I could really use some help with ths problem. Any help would be appreciated!
    Please give points where appropriate

<I dont create ready scripts for you, but I'm willing to point you in the right direction>

Re: Session Broker with double logins

If I'm not mistaken, the problem is that you are using two load balancing mechanisms that operate at different layers and they're competing with each other. When you initially make the connection, NLB "picks up" the incoming connection and sends it to one server based on network availability (layer 3) and you get a login box, then Session Broker "picks up" the incoming connection and sends it to the other server based on user load (layer 5, 6, 7) and you get another login box. You should use NLB or Session Broker, but not both.

NLB is not a required component when using Session Broker. You can create a dedicated redirector that will handle all incoming connections and send them to the appropriate server or you can use DNS round robin to "route" the incoming connections.

Comment

Thank you for responding,

What I think is the process of load balance: NLB does pick up and it directs me to either terminal server. That server(doesnt matter which) makes me login, and then it talks to Session Broker to see whether I've already got a session on a server or which server has the least load.

NLB does not interfere here. I excluded NLB being the culprit by disabling one server in the NLB console and thus forcing me to go to one server for login. while having a session on the other server. It still redirects me to the right server so that works, except my credentials seem to get lost here, cause I just get a new login screen. When I login the second time I get my previous session.

Having googled this, the problem seems to occur with DNS round robin implementations as well..

<I dont create ready scripts for you, but I'm willing to point you in the right direction>

Comment

You're mixing things up. Session Directory runs on W2K3 and is NOT a load balancing mechanism. Session Broker runs on W2K8 and IS a load balancing mechanism. As a test why not try turning off NLB or Session Broker on BOTH servers and see what happens. If you only get one login box then that confirms what I stated in my original answer.

Comment

I'm not mixing anything up. I know NLB is load balancing and so is Session Broker.

Are you suggesting this cannot work?, since MS put their own manual online describing my exact solution. I was thinking this would be a great way of load balancing especially since there will be more TS servers on the way. Wont be more than 16 or so I know the limit is around there somewhere..

The NLB is supposed to make sure not all primary logins come at one server. It's supposed to be LOAD balancing where the first login takes place. Now I could have used DNS Round Robin for this, however if one server happens to be down. Some of my users will be redirected to a non existing server.

Could someone plz offer some insight on this ?

Sidenote:

CAPITALS ACTUALLY SOUND LIKE SCREAMING... So please dont use them !!

Comment

Originally posted by Silver23 View Post
            I'm not mixing anything up. I know NLB is load balancing and so is Session Broker.

Are you suggesting this cannot work?, since MS put their own manual online describing my exact solution. I was thinking this would be a great way of load balancing especially since there will be more TS servers on the way. Wont be more than 16 or so I know the limit is around there somewhere..

The NLB is supposed to make sure not all primary logins come at one server. It's supposed to be LOAD balancing where the first login takes place. Now I could have used DNS Round Robin for this, however if one server happens to be down. Some of my users will be redirected to a non existing server.

Could someone plz offer some insight on this ?

Sidenote:

CAPITALS ACTUALLY SOUND LIKE SCREAMING... So please dont use them !!
            I didn't mean any offense and I hope you haven't taken any. I used caps for emphasis only. If I had used caps in my entire response then it could have been construed as yelling. I have read the same MS documentation that you have and am only suggesting that NLB is suggested but not required and am suggesting that you try without NLB to see if it changes anything. If it's not working to your satisfaction at the moment then temporarily changing it can't hurt.

Comment

No offense taken. =-)

Thank you for trying to help btw.

I could try this tomorrow, I hope it will sort my problem out..

I'll let you and this forum know if I find a solution, Im pretty sure other people are having this problem. Since on my google crusade I found a lot of unsolved topics regarding this..

Comment

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted, I'm curious to see what your results will be.

Comment

Looks like I got it working yesterday.

It was actually pretty simple. Then again anything is quite simple once you've figured it out.

It seems I had put the domain name in the connection properties(on the terminal-server properties). Somehow this made it forget all my login data and made me login a second time.

The project hasnt been finished yet.

Also it is now working with NLB. So this is a configuration that can work correctly.

Tx for all the help!

Comment

Thanks for the update. Now I know a little more than I did yesterday.

Comment

Alright the problem with having to login twice has returned. I deinstalled NLB and am using dns to point to the session broker right now. I've still got this lame problem... .

I dont know what I'm doing wrong here...

Hope someone could help figure it out.
                      Last edited by Silver23; 24th November 2009, 21:38. Reason: was a quick post..

Comment

Anyone got some helpful thoughts?

I've checked my configuration again, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

All my dns entries point to the session broker, All TS-servers are in the correct local group. And they are members of the Farm.

Comment

Working...
                        X