Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RemoteApp - Access app and shares remotely?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RemoteApp - Access app and shares remotely?

Guys,

Hoping someone can give me some assistance on a possible scenario. I have experience of 2003 TS but not so much with 2008.

Scenario

Head Office site has huge access database stored locally, remote site needs to access said access database but has very very poor connectivity.

Would remoteapp be the answer here? - ie if a TermServer was put onsite at the head office, and Access was setup as a remoteapp, when the remote users open the database from the remoteapp version of Access on their desktops would it stream both the app and the database data. Or is remoteapp purely for app deployment (and not remote data access) and in this scenario would I be better off putting in a traditional TS with Access installed at the HO site in order to allow quick access to the large DB for remote users?

Hope this makes sense?

Thanks

Paul
    MCITP:Enterprise Admin,
    MSCE
    MCSA: Messaging

Re: RemoteApp - Access app and shares remotely?

RemoteApp would be a solution. Just so that you're clear on this:

The application is not streamed to the client (like it is with SoftGrid), the application runs completely on the TS server. Screen data is sent from the server to the client and keyboard\mouse data is sent from the client to the server. The application, including it's dll's, executables, data, etc., etc. remain on the TS server.

Comment

I dont think I've explained this well, and I'm presuming from your answer that RemoteApp may not be the solution I am after.

If I were to make Access a remoteapp and available to the remote site via a 2008 TS server in the head office, I presume when the remote site users open it, and click file > open and choose the 150mb database file located on a file server at the Head Office, it will still be as slow to open/manipulate as it is now, as that 150mb file still needs to be sent over the slow link to the client in the remote site?

However, if I deployed a traditional TS solution, the remote users would open Access on the TS server in the HO site and when they opened the 150mb file from access on the TS the 150mb would then be on a file server localto their TS session and open quickly?

I was hoping to deploy a non standard TS solution to make things more transparent for end users but I dont think this is possible in this instance?

Paul
      MCITP:Enterprise Admin,
      MSCE
      MCSA: Messaging

Comment

No, you have it wrong. It works exactly the same in both scenarios as the way you described it in your second statement regarding a traditional TS deployment. RemoteAPP does not stream the application or the data (Access database) to the remote client. Everything is local to the TS server. The difference is that instead of the user seeing a full desktop session (like they would in TS 2003) they only see the application. The application and any resources it uses are local to and stay local to the TS server.

The application is running on the TS server. Any connections the application makes to other resources are between the TS server and the other resources. Nothing goes to the client except screen updates of the application.

Comment

Working...
        X