Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outlook out of sync on Terminal Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Outlook out of sync on Terminal Server

    Problem:
    Client uses Outlook with local Exchange server at office. From home, or away, he uses Remote Desktop to log in to a Terminal Server I set up. Outlook was installed on the Terminal Server in the recommended way so that multiple users could use a copy when they log in.

    At work, his desktop version of Outlook reflects his moves, deletes, and so on. Using Remote Desktop, the TS version does not show the same state. Hundreds of spam message remain as undeleted, messages that were moved to various subfolders remain in their original positions.

    On Terminal Server, messages do show up in the inbox shortly after being sent, but they cannot be moved or deleted. A message appears that the message may have been moved or deleted or you may not have sufficient privileges to complete the action.

    ------------------

    Question:
    How can I cure this? I would typically uninstall a balky app like this and then reinstall it. But on a Terminal Server I *think* an uninstall would affect all users since this is a 'communal' install of Outlook. Is there a way to wipe out the "state" information for this one user so that it can get the correct status from Exchange, without causing unintended disruptions to other users? Is there a way to ensure that the desktop Outlook and the TS instance are both in the same state?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by Fretts; 1st July 2009, 16:15.

  • #2
    Re: Outlook out of sync on Terminal Server

    http://www.petri.com/how_to_ask_a_question.htm
    Best Regards,

    Yuval Sinay

    LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Outlook out of sync on Terminal Server

      Have you tried deleting the outlook profile for the affected user (on the TS) and starting again from scratch?

      Note -- I believe this was a known bug with Outlook 98 and Exchange 5.5 on NT 4.0. Should you be using different versions, please give us a clue
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Outlook out of sync on Terminal Server

        Ossian, thank you for the idea. Yes I did try deleting the user's profile and recreating it. It came back exactly the same. That is why I am considering more drastic action.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Outlook out of sync on Terminal Server

          Just for one user?

          NB, still waiting to hear what versions of software you are using as this will make a difference!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Outlook out of sync on Terminal Server

            If the issue is with a single user, try renaming their Windows profile and log in to create a brand new profile. Then see if you can recreate the problem in Outlook.
            MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Outlook out of sync on Terminal Server

              Boondock, thank you. I deleted the account from Outlook on the Terminal Server and the profile too.
              I created a new profile with a different name and reconfigured Outlook to use the new profile.
              I selected Cached mode this time - previous profile was not cached.
              It appears to work properly now. I do not know which element made the difference or if it was the combination of using Cached mode and creating a new profile.
              But thanks to your suggestion, the problem is cured...THANK YOU!

              Comment

              Working...
              X