NT4 Server & Remote Desktop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NT4 Server & Remote Desktop

Hello, I have an NT4 server as the DC in my network at work. I've just installed on it the latest version (6.0.2600.0) of Remote Desktop from the MS XP downloads site: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...dclientdl.mspx).

Connecting to other machines on our internal network from the NT server works great, but I can't connect to the NT server via Remote Desktop from other local machines. I'm assuming NT server is blocking TCP port 3389 (incoming)... am I right in this? If so, does anyone know where in NT4 (via the registry or otherwise) I can make changes to allow incoming connections on 3389? Is there a firewall policy?

I came on board to the RDP scene with XP & 2000 and have had no problems getting it to go between these two. I don't know much of its predecessor, Terminal Services. Any ideas?

Thank you, John

Block tcp port 3389 it is possible.
    Have you the right permissions to access remotly?
    Could be a firewall!
    The rdp connection is it not so secure.

The best way to go is create a VPN connection to remote server and then terminal connection.
    MCSE w2k
    MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
    MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

c'mon windux, be serious.

NT4 does not support RDP. That's new with W2000. There is NT4 Terminal Services edition, but that is a seperate version version of the OS.

Comment

Originally posted by wkasdo
        c'mon windux, be serious.

NT4 does not support RDP. That's new with W2000. There is NT4 Terminal Services edition, but that is a seperate version version of the OS.
        wkasdo

You're right. Where am i? Sh*t

But you can have the same problem with w2k or xp or w2k3 if you have firewall, port locked or not permissions...
        MCSE w2k
        MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

The Windows download page says it will work on NT4 (or ME/98/95 for that matter).

Guys, this isn't a firewall traversal issue per se. I don't want to hit this server from the Internet, I only want to connect to it from other machines on the same subnet. What I was referring to in my original post was if anyone knows how to open ports on the actual NT server box; i.e. how do you force NT4 to allow incoming connections on TCP 3389? I mean, there has to be a way, but does anyone know how to do this?

Installing the same client on a 2000 machine (either server or pro edition) makes the necessary adjustments of unblocking incoming 3389; otherwise 2000 would not successfully host a RD session after installing the client, but it does! Perhaps these ports are open to begin with in 2000? In any case, this isn't so for NT4.

Again, the RDP client works great connecting to other hosts but not the other way around. As for permissions, I'm connecting as domain admin so I don't see an issue there. Please advise if you can help me with this.

Thank you, John

Comment

I don't think you Can do what you want.

as far as i know this thing not supported in nt4
            Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
            HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
            the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

Originally posted by digital-nd
              The Windows download page says it will work on NT4 (or ME/98/95 for that matter).
              The windows page says it will work as a client application. You will connect FROM
              Can you see the differences?
              You will install the client software on win98/ME/NT/w2k and connect to another serevr that must have the "terminal services server".
              MCSE w2k
              MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Thank you windux, I get it.

So, other than the 'Terminal Services' edition of NT4, is there a Terminal Services add-on for NT server that you know of? I suppose that would defeat the purpose of MS making a seperate version with this function but you know, it doesn't hurt to ask...

If not, any other alternatives to accomplish what I'm after or am I stuck with VNC & pc Anywhere?

Thanks and let me know, John

Comment

Originally posted by digital-nd
                  If not, any other alternatives to accomplish what I'm after or am I stuck with VNC & pc Anywhere?

Thanks and let me know, John
                  Dameware is great.
                  Citrix solutions are professional.
                  MCSE w2k
                  MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Success... okay not exactly what you're all thinking.

I was after a Microsoft based solution and found one. It's good ol' NetMeeting. It's not so bad and thanks to...

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../ntsrvnmt.html

... I learned how to configure it for Remote Desktop Sharing. Yes, I know it's not preferable security wise compared to other products but it does what I need it to do. It also provides encryption for data-only 'calls' which is all I use it for. I simply hop to this machine from another machine on the network. It's a tiny app and the Remote Desktop Sharing feature only uses ~5K of memory while running. Bandwidth & display quality isn't as good as RDP (obviously) but it doesn't suck either. All in all, a good solution for my purposes... and it's free!

Thanks to all for your quick responses and help, John

Comment

Check out DameWare though.. excellent tool for remote admin of servers/desktops etc
                      1 + 1 = 11 ... honest!

Comment

Working...
                      X