Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Terminal Server cannot discover itself as license server

Hi,

I joined a new Windows 2008 Terminal Server to a domain which is already running a SBS2003 computer and another Server 2008 (DC). I did not make the Terminal Server a DC, I simply joined it to the domain.

I have installed the TS role with licensing (this is the only TS box in the domain) and configured it as User CALs and activated those user CALs. I made sure the Mode is Per User.

In Terminal Services Configuration I can specify that "TERMINAL-SERVER" is the license server, and when I click the Check names button says that it is a valid TS Licensing server. I also tried to set it to Automatic discovery of TS Licensing servers but that made no difference.

If in TS Licensing Manager I right click the computer named "TERMINAL-SERVER" I can select "Review Configuration" and I can see that it has two nice green ticks: it says it is published in AD DS, and says that Terminal Servers can automatically discover this license server. Also the second green tick says This License server is a member of the Terminal Server License Servers group in AD.

Using TS Licensing Manager I can generate a report saying that I have 10 User CALs of which 1 is used (by me, now, remotely from home).

So everything seems perfect until I go to Terminal Services Configuration and the Licensing Diagnosis says that it it is within its grace period, and that it cannot discover any Terminal Server license servers and it suggests that I install one, or review the configuration. In fact, it says:
    "Configure a license server for the terminal server. If you have an existing license server, use Terminal Services Configuration tool to specify that license server for the terminal server. Otherwise, install TS Licensing on a computer on your network.

If you have configured a license server for the terminal server but the license server does not appear in the list of discovered license servers, use TS Licensing Manager to review the configuration of the license server."
    but I have already done all that!

How do I get the TS to recognise itself as a TS Licensing server?

I have restarted the TS License service. Also, I logged on as a domain adminstrator to set all of this up.

Thank you if you can offer any help.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Re: 2008 Terminal Server cannot discover itself as license server

Did you upgrade the schema?
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Hi, and thanks for your interest.

I'm sorry I am not sure what that means: I did run adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep from the Server 2008 DVD on the existing SBS2003 server as per http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc708131.aspx - is that what is meant by upgrading the schema?

One thing is that I installed the TS role with licensing before I joined the 2008 server to the domain as a member server. Should I uninstall the TS role and reboot then reinstall the TS role with licensing and re-activate my 10 TS licenses? Or do you think I should install the TS licensing role on a different '08 DC, and then would that enable the TS (member server) to "see" the licensing server?
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.

Comment

Ok... Please backup the licenses, remove the license server and install it again.
        You should re-activated it + the licenses.
        Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Hi,

I have now done that, and although the server TS licencing report that I can generate indicates (as it did before) that there are 10 User licences, and furthermore I do not get a bollon tip saying that I "...only have 113 days left", unfortunately the Licensing Diagnostics screen still says that it cannot find a licensing server and that there are zero licenses available.

I've double checked everything so the only thing I can think is that the Licensing Diagnostics is not telling me thr truth. Although I am encouraged that I do not get a baloon tip warning, the Licensing Diagnostics screen does worry me.

Is there another way, perhaps in the registry, or somewhere else, that I can verify that it is licensed properly and that it will not cut everyone off in 112 days?
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.

Comment

1. Is the computer account for the TS license server a member of the Terminal Servers License Servers group?

2. Is the TS license server a DC?

Comment

Hi Joeqwerty,

The computer named terminal-server is a member of the domain's "Terminal Server License Servers" security group.

The Terminal-Server is not a DC, it is only a member of the domain.
              Best wishes,
              PaulH.

Comment

Working...
              X