No announcement yet.

TS Printers

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS Printers

Hey guys/gals,

First time posting on this forum and have used the content here many times with great success

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows a reliable printer that works well in a terminal services environment (more of a personal(per desk) printer). We used to use the HP 1020 but they discontinued them so we need something to replace it with.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Re: TS Printers

I can recommanded to use a printer that have a build in driver in Microsoft HAL:
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn:, Blog:

Thanks for the reply, but I don't really see how that link applies to W2K3 TS.

I guess my question is, does anyone know of a printer that they have had good luck with or know a printer that works well in a TS environment?

I have had very good results with a product called "net2printer RDP" which does a very lightweight mapping to local printers
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Your question is like asking "What kind of food is good at Applebees?" Some of it appeals to everybody, some of it appeals to nobody, and everybody has a different opinion about everything else. What I mean is that there are general guidelines to follow for printers to work in a TS environment and beyond that it's a matter of preference. The general criteria is that if the printer uses PCL, then it should work in a TS environment. The criteria I use in our 20 server Windows Server 2003 TS farm are these: The printer must use PCL and must have a Windows Server 2003 driver. If the printer doesn't meet these two criteria we won't support it and won't attempt to make it work.

Also, you can use a custom print.inf file to support "unsupported" printers, but that's another topic altogether.

If you're looking for a specific answer to your question then the HP LaserJet 4 has always worked pretty well under terminal services.

Thats actually a better answer than I had hoped for. So it needs to be PCL and have specific Windows 2003 Drivers (sort of figured this one).

Yeah the LaserJet 4 is a great workhorse!

Thanks again!

Glad to help.