Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TS licence on multiple server or move to another?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS licence on multiple server or move to another?

Hi,
    We are using MS TS on three server's. One server call it server A hosting the licence only (called session directory also?) and other two Server B and Server C are running the TS manager where users connects to. Server B and Server C are on VM's already but Server A is not as its a DC.
    Now we need to move server A physical server to VM. Not sure which is the best way to go about conveting this to VM but not affecting user's connection to the TS while i am moving it.
    option1.
    Can i host the license to two multiple server for better load balance and as a backup option?

Under TS server settings under "License server discovery mode" there is a setting where i can seperate server names with commas. which to me looks like i can host TS license to two different servers?

Option 2
    Just move the licence to the Server B or Server C itself?

Re: TS licence on multiple server or move to another?

Hi,

....In the Microsoft Terminal Services Licensing white paper, Microsoft recommends deploying two license servers but only placing license tokens on one of the servers, allowing the other to only issue temporary CALs. However, in their Terminal Server Licensing FAQs on their web site, they recommend splitting license tokens between deployed license servers. So which one is correct? Well, they both are, depending on your goals for high availability....

.... http://www.msterminalservices.org/ar...ery-Part1.html
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Although it must run fine but couple of times i had an issue where I had to clean the TS licencing info from the clients in order to make them functional.
      Kapil Sharma
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Thanks L4ady.

But according to that link, see the last line in the following paragraph

""The easiest way around this issue is to keep a certain number of license tokens on the shelf in the event of a failure. If your environment suffers a license server failure and you find yourself in a situation where no licenses are available on the surviving node, you have the option of loading your “spare” license packs on the remaining server. However, this should be a last resort as once CALs are loaded on a license server, they cannot be removed.""

Now my 50 licences are already install on one server how do i move those 50 license to two seperate server with 50/50 ratio?

I have to deactiave and reactive license on thos two server right? But as i said its a live enviorment and I can't afford this to be offline. We I am sure I can manage one hr downtime or so with the outage notice. But due to remote people from different location login to these TS server it makes it hard for me to take it down for too long.

what are the chances?

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
        Hi,

....In the Microsoft Terminal Services Licensing white paper, Microsoft recommends deploying two license servers but only placing license tokens on one of the servers, allowing the other to only issue temporary CALs. However, in their Terminal Server Licensing FAQs on their web site, they recommend splitting license tokens between deployed license servers. So which one is correct? Well, they both are, depending on your goals for high availability....

.... http://www.msterminalservices.org/ar...ery-Part1.html

Comment

Working...
        X