No announcement yet.

User profiles in Terminal Servcies

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User profiles in Terminal Servcies

I have set in ADUC the user Terminals Services profile to go to a folder on a server thats not the terminal server. \\servername\share\username

This works fine - but when first logging on by Remote Desktop ALSO creates a set of profile folders on the Terminal server itself.

I would prefer for it not do to that or do we have to just put up with it.

Any suggestions to negate this or what may be best practice here please.

Re: User profiles in Terminal Servcies

I think thats default behaviour for roaming profiles -- there is a local cached copy plus the remote server copy

On logoff the remote copy is updated
    On logon the local copy is checked against the remote server and updated if needed

You should probably look at folder redirection to actually relocate some of the profile contents to a remote server
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: User profiles in Terminal Servcies

Ossian is correct. The network copy of the profile is copied to the TS server and becomes a local profile when the user logs in. When the user logs out, any changes to the local copy are merged with the network copy. User sessions do not "run" from the network copy. If you don't want the local copies cluttering up the TS there is a GPO setting to delete cached copies of roaming profiles that you can implement. You can also install the User Profile Hive Cleanup service to clean the user hives from the registry on the TS.