RDP & DRAC- who is the console?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDP & DRAC- who is the console?

On one of my servers, I RDP to it (as administrator2) using the CMD command:

mstsc /v:bau-notes /console

If I DRAC to the same server using "administrator1", I don't get the console screen that I get in the RDP session. When I run the Terminal Services Manager on the server, I see:

RDP-Tcp (listener)
    Console (administrator1)
    RDP-Tcp (administrator2)

My question is, is it normal that when I MSTSC to a server using CONSOLE, that it does NOT connect to the console?

Windows Server 2003 SP2
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: RDP & DRAC- who is the console?

If you are using the RDC v6.1, the /console switch is no longer functional. This is default in Vista and Windows 2008 server. Try the /admin switch on your W2k3 server and look at your RDC version.

Comment

We're using RDP V6.0.6000 client on Windows XP SP2 workstations. The console switch always results in a connection to RDP-Tcp on the server, never the console.

I suppose that if I RDP to a server's console, the user at the keyboard & screen of the server can never see what I'm doing. However if they log on to the server from the physical keyboard & screen, they will log me out of my RDP console session. Is this how it works? Thanks.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
      |

Comment

That's right. If you log on to the console, I believe the screen is locked or goes blank at the server itself. Should somebody be already logged on, the session will be logged off but you should be prompted before doing so. If the user account being used to remotely connect is already logged in at the console, it should map in to that open session.

I believe there is a way of remotely looking at RDP sessions in the Terminal Services Manager. Never tried it before bit I think you can right click on the open session and then view the session. This has to be done from the console.
        Last edited by Virtual; 25th February 2009, 04:19.

Comment

Working...
        X