99% cpu load

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99% cpu load

Hey guys... just tried a stress test on the term serv, with only 30 concurrent logons and it jumped dramatically to 99% cpu usage when the users are logging in only - after they logged in it went back down to 2-10% usage, the RAM was fine, hardly touched

the server is on VMware on a ibm bladecenter dedicated blade, 32GB ram, using 8cpu's (xeon [email protected] 2.83GHZ)

the blade is using 4 cpus with 16gb of ram...

help... please!!

Re: 99% cpu load

Originally posted by krayzie View Post
    with only 30 concurrent logons and it jumped dramatically to 99% cpu usage when the users are logging in only - after they logged in it went back down to 2-10% usage
    What kind of logon scripts are your test users executing? An on-access antivirus, few program installs and executing some VBScripts for each user can easily drive up the CPU load.

-vP

Comment

the only login script is to create a internet explorer shortcut on the users desktop

Comment

Please dont use VM for TS.
        You can try to give more resource to the VM, but.. this not a physical server as you know.

If like to get a real solution for virtualization please use hardware virtualization.
        Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

hi Yuval,

what is so bad about it being a VM? - just curious

Comment

The problem is most likely the winlogon and spooler services spiking. This issue only happens when users log on (and sometimes when they log off). AFAIK, there's no real fix except to make sure SP2 is installed. We see this issue in our TS environment whiih is made up of all physical servers.

Comment

1 question,

is limitations of server 2003 standard 64bit is 2 cpus, is that physical cpus?

would it be any advantage if i took vmware off the blade and put server 2003 enterprise 64bit on there?

there is only 2 physical quad cores on the blade

thanks again for all the help guys
              Last edited by krayzie; 21st February 2009, 11:33.

Comment

The "problem" cause is usually due the virtual system operations:

For example, you may have on physical server the following hardware:

16 GB RAM
                2x Quad CPU's

and then you create 4 VM's, each with 8 GB... However you have only 16 GB total no?

The virtual server (Vmware, Hyper-V, Xen etc.) create a nice trick and each system think
                that it own 8 GB.. But this tricky, because if all the VM's need the full memory, you will get
                a performance drop.

Another problem - You have the same system as above, however, only one VM need the total 8 GB RAM and the other can use total of 4 GB RAM.
                The time that the virtual system move resource due the drop in the resource requirement create a performance drop for ~5-10 seconds (This issue occur also on other resource like I/O disk etc.).

You "play" with the resource management, however think about VM as nice server for application that "dont play" with resource, so TS, SQL, Oracle, SAP etc. wouldn't install
                on this system.
                Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

I'll have to respectfully disagree with Yuval. While he is probably correct regarding running TS on VM, your specific problem is not related to VM. The problem you are having has been a known issue with W2K3 TS for several years. Microsoft released a hotfix a few years ago for this and the hotfix is also part of SP2.

Comment

well my server has sp2 in it

Comment

I was wondering if there has been any other updates to your server loads. I have 4 TS servers(Server 200 on VMware. We have 3 host with 16 GB/ 2 Quad/ PE 1950 and we keep seeing spikes through out the day on all servers. It really seems like there is a backup job running or something like that. We just got rid of Endpoint and put in Trend Micro and that has helped a lot, however we still have spikes during the day on all servers, any where from 65-99% on all 4 servers. I just installed SP2 this weekend in hopes of solving the spool issues I had read about but the servers still seem to be providing poor performance. I'm not sure what monitoring tool/performance tool could help find what is going on.
                      If anyone has or had this similar issue, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X