disable start button

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disable start button

Hi..we have windows 2003 server enterprise edition and users log in on the terminal server.

We would however, remove/disable the start button from the desktop of the users so that they do not have access to anything else.

Any ideas how it can be done?

Thanks & Regards,

Re: disable start button

In your GPO go to User Configuration|Administrative Templates|Start Menu and Taskbar, and enable the option to Remove and prevent Access to the Shut Down command.

Comment

I was searching for this very thing not too long ago. I don't believe that it is possible to disable access to the start button. However, what I did instead was use the "Custom User Interface" GPO option to load something in place of Explorer. Also, take a look at this thread to see if it's a similar situation to yours and if you want to do what is suggested. You could load an alternate shell such as a VBS script that offers users a choice of applications to use or, if your users only need one application, just supply that application as the new custom user interface (like your CRM app or Word 2003, etc.). There are also some interesting alternate user interfaces in this list and this list.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

You can redirect the users to a custom startup menu, using software restrictions policy etc.
        Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Working...
        X