X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roaming profile?

hey guys just a quickie.. lol

i have 4 terminal servers load balanced

when anyone logs in the connector assigns them a TS say term1 and if they login again later they might get term2 etc..

my question is, if i want them to get the same profile on every server to i have to specifiy it in AD -> right click a user ->properties ->profile -> profile path (e.g \\%servername%\\$username$)

would that work to enable them to get their profile on each server thanks!

or is there a group policy setting that i can set?

thanks guys!
    Last edited by krayzie; 10th February 2009, 00:43. Reason: adding more

Re: roaming profile?

Hi,

First of all, I wouldn't use Roaming profiles on terminal servers. It may cause you more harm than good. I'd look into mandatory profiles (store them locally) or even local profiles.
    Secondly, In ADUC I would specify a Terminal Services profile for each user as well as their standard profile. Otherwise the users will use their standard profile.

Have a look at this for more: http://www.msterminalservices.org/ar...challenge.html

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

really? all we really want is for them to be able to save a few files on their desktop and for them to be able to pick up those files on the different servers

mandatory profiles are working atm because the users think they have lost their data but havent - its just that they have logged into a different terminal server

Comment

You are probably best to give users a home drive to save their files to. That will then be mapped for them everytime. This means the files will also be backed up.

I know what you mean though regarding users concern. I received some flack when I disallowed saving of files to the desktop. I justify it stating that in order for us to back the files up, it needs to be saved to a network server.

Comment

that would be a good idea, accept i have pretty much locked down the whole user experience,

they have no access to my computer and no start menu access either... the only thing that they have atm is a IE icon on the desktop

so basically all i would need is the desktop to be "roaming" i guess

Comment

Come to think of it, as it is roaming profile, it would be backed up on the server anyway. Must have not been thinking last night. However, it would be good to allow home drives so you can carry out L4ndy recommendations.

You should be able to allow access to the network drive without a user having to access it via My Computer. When they want to save their file, I believe the Home Drive should appear. I know it did in an enviroment I locked down the same as you. Give it a go and log in as a user to find out.

You may have to tweak Group Policy a little.

Comment

I've deleted the double post rather than merging it as there were no replies (save Rems of course!). Any problems let me know via PM
              cheers
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
              X