No announcement yet.

UI and Applications/Custom shell

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UI and Applications/Custom shell

My first post so please take it easy on me.

We have a few remote users who use a CRM package. This CRM integrates with Office. When a user logs in, I want to heavily modify their access to the desktop and start menu etc. I have set up GPs but it doesn't seem to be enough. I'll explain what I want:

When a user logs in, all I want them to see in the start menu is the required applications (CRM and Office suite). I have tried in Software Restriction but that doesn't completely remove things like IE from being displayed. In addition, I don't want them to see anything other than their My Documents folder and some network shares on Desktop. I also don't want them to be able to "explore" - all they should have access to is their own profile, some network shares and that is it!

I hope that covers mostly what I want to do.

I added Office to the "Programs Folder" of start menu in C:\Documents and Settings\%username% however when Outlook runs, it says "Unable to connect to Exchange"...Am i missing something there?

Could someone please offer some advice/assistance and/or provide me with some good reading material?

Thank you in advance everyone!

Re: UI and Applications/Custom shell

You have a few options like:

1. Folder redirect - to redirect users folders to external folder.

2. Software Restrictions can eliminate the option to use this software.
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn:, Blog: