Is 7Zip compatible with TS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 7Zip compatible with TS?

I am looking for some Zip software to install on my TS, so that it's available to all users. I can't find any information on whether or not 7Zip is compatible. Does anyone konw?

Thanks,

Gary

Re: Is 7Zip compatible with TS?

Can't think how it would cause any problems... try it in a lab and see?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

We have an old version of powerarchiver so I would think 7zip is going to be fine. Testing is obviously a good way or maybe even (like gfroce says) or maybe the 7zip forum
      http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=45797
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks, Gareth & Andy. I did post in the 7Zip forum, but I didn't get a reply. The problem is that I work for a charity and we only have one TS and no spare servers (never mind a lab!), so I was hoping that someone would know whether or not it works, then I can just implement it...

Thanks,

Gary

Comment

You know Microsoft makes a big deal about installing applications on a TS. I've done dozens installs/uninstalls on TS even while other users were logged on. I've never ran into an issue.

I think it only matters for old software that relied on .ini files at the computer level, not the user level.

Worst case you lose some settings between different users. How much that would affect 7Zip? Not enough to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
            You know Microsoft makes a big deal about installing applications on a TS. I've done dozens installs/uninstalls on TS even while other users were logged on. I've never ran into an issue.

I think it only matters for old software that relied on .ini files at the computer level, not the user level.

Worst case you lose some settings between different users. How much that would affect 7Zip? Not enough to worry about.
            Well not only that. Some apps install to the user's profile and can't be seen or used by others.

I have personally used 7zip in TS (2003) and it works fine. It installs to the all users profile and the context menu is accessible by all users as well.
            Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X