Windows Svr 2003 TS - logon fails - profile cannot be loaded

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Svr 2003 TS - logon fails - profile cannot be loaded

We have a server running Windows Server 2003 and staff log in via Terminal Services from remote sites.

Every so often users are unable to log in, and see a message saying their profile could not be loaded and to contact the administrator. When I try to log in (I have admin privilages) I get a similar message, but instead of the login failing, it loads the default profile.

A temporary solution can be achieved by restarting the server, but the problem returns after some time.

Can anyone suggest what is causing this, and what we can do to rectify it?

Thanks,

Gary

Re: Windows Svr 2003 TS - logon fails - profile cannot be loaded

First place I would check is the eventlog. If the issue is resolved by restarting the server then there is obviously an issue with the server.

Are the users roaming profiles on a file share? If so, do you experience any issues with the file share at the same time as the issues with the TS?
    When the issues happens again can you ping the File share before restarting the TS?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks, Michael.

Users don't have roaming profiles, because they don't log in to the server except via Terminal Services. (We have several offices across the region, and staff log in from home as well, so everything is centralised through TS).

The file store is on the same server and there are no problems with users who are already logged in accessing this through TS. Users who cannot log in through TS because they see the error message can access the filestore via FTP and their Exchange mailbox via OWA.

Gary

Comment

By roaming profiles I meant TS Profiles - My bad.

So you ohave one TS and users TS profiles are stored on the same profile or do users get local profiles?

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

We have one TS (which also acts as an Exchange and fileserver) and staff have their own profiles defined on this.

The logon issue can be cleared instantly by rebooting (though of course this causes great inconvenience to staff who are already logged in), OR by waiting for a while (20-30minutes) and then the problem seems to fix itself.

Gary

Comment

My first thought were DNS issues but if the TS profiles are local then I dont think this will be the issue.

Check the eventlog for the last time it happened for any warnings / erros and post back

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Thanks, Michael. There are two entries created in the Application log when the user tries to log on and gets the failure message: Event ID 1508 followed by Event ID 1500 (copied below).

Does this help to diagnose the problem?

Gary

EVENT ID 1508
              Windows was unable to load the registry. This is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient security rights.
              DETAIL - Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service. for C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\ntuser.dat
              For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

EVENT ID 1500
              Windows was unable to load the registry. This is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient security rights.
              DETAIL - Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service. for C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\ntuser.dat
              For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
              Last edited by garywood84; 12th January 2009, 20:03.

Comment

If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say your TS needs more memory. How much is in it? How many users connected? What apps are running? Are you using the /3GB switch in the boot.ini file? If you are don't, as it takes too much memory from the kernel which needs it for loading profiles, etc.

Comment

Please review:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

http://ts.veranoest.net/ts_profiles.htm
                  Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Hello Gary,

This issue you are seeing is quite common in Windows 2003 TS 32 bit servers.
                    The main reason for the "insufficient system resources..." is depleted kernel memory (mostly paged-pool memory).

You can verify if kernel memory causes problems in your environment by running Process Explorer, here is a good link on how to do that - http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/arc...resources.aspx

In order to configure to maximum amount of paged pool kernel memory I always configure the following Registry keys on my customers TS boxes:
                    1. HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PagedPoolSize - FFFFFFFF (Hex, REG_DWORD)
                    2. HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\SystemPages - 0 (REG_DWORD)
                    3. HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PoolUsageMaximum - 60 (Decimal, REG_DWORD)
                    After you configure these settings you need to reboot the TS box. after the reboot you can use Process Explorer again and make sure that now more Paged-pool kernel memory is avaliable.

Thanks,
                    Smart-X

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. However, I'm still having problems with this.

I've tried creating the registry keys and restarting, but the problem returns a couple of days later.

The server has 4Gb RAM and at most 32 uses logged in at once. We're running MS Office 2007, but other than this and basic utilities like zip software, and Exchange Server, there's nothing else running.

Anyone got any other ideas or suggestions?

Gary

Comment

Are you saying that Exchange is running on the TS server? Have you looked at memory useage in Perfmon?

Comment

I missed the part that the TS also hosts Exchange...
                          I think it is just too much for one OS... especially for 32bit.

First thing you want to do, as others in the forum suggested, is to see if you have any obvious bottle necks such as low physical memory condition:

Task Manager --> Performance Tab --> Under 'Physical Memory', Available. should be at least 100,000K (which is 100 MB)

Another possible bottle neck might be the Commit Limit, comparing to the Peak Commit Charge.

You would also want to see if you're using the /3GB or /USERVA switch in c:\boot.ini.
                          These switches "shrink" your kernel space in order to make room to user-mode processes such as Exchange.

If it is not any of these situations, you'll have to find the exact shortage and fine tune your memory configuration accordingly.

It's a bit like we used to do with the config.sys in the good old days of DOS

So, the first step would be to download and install Debugging Tools For Windows at http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/s...6.10.3.233.msi

Then, open windbg.exe and follow these steps:
                          1. CTRL + S (opens the symbol search path form)
                          2. on the 'Symbol Path' text box, type the following:

SRV*%windir%\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

3. Check the 'Reload' checkbox and click 'OK'
                          4. CTRL + K (start Kernel Debug)
                          5. Switch to 'Local' tab and click OK

... Wait for the symbols to be loaded (takes some time on the first time)

6. on the command prompt at the lower part of the screen, enter the following command:

!vm 1

These steps should be taken at the time you have the problem (before the reboot).

Post back the output and we'll try to analyze it.

Comment

What programs are you running on the server?

I run a TS with 20 users and found the software we use for EMR (Electronic Medical Records) has a memory leak that they refuse to acknowledge / fix.

I had to set up my system to restart on a daily basis to prevent this exact error from happening.

Now my users know that between 5am and 5:15am no on can log into the server. Since all my users are in the local timezone this is not a problem (no one apparently wants to be up then).

Hobie

Comment

Working...
                            X