Change default file location - TS 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change default file location - TS 2003

We're running TS on Windows Server 2003, with Microsoft Office 2007 installed. When uses try to open or save a file from any Office application, they get an error message re administrative restrictions, because by default Office is looking to the My Documents folder on C:\. We store all documents on a network share, drive X:\. Can anyone tell me how I can make a server-wide change, so that for all users, for all applications, the default Open/Save location is X:\?

Thanks,

Gary

Re: Change default file location - TS 2003

I'm not sure for all apllications, but for Office you can use the Office ADM templates to define the default file location for Office programs.

Comment

Thanks, joeqwerty. I've managed to set the default location for Open/Save in Office using ADM.

However, I can't find a way to set a similar property for Outlook. For example, when users go to insert a hyperlink, it defaults to their My Documents folder and they see the same restrictions message. Can anyone help with this?

Also, I'd like to be able to set users' Office usernames to be the same as their TS logon username. Is this possible using ADM?

Thanks,

Gary

Comment

Hello Gary,

Instead of changing each application default file open/save location you can just redirect the users My Document location to thier Home directory or any any file share. that way, each application that defaults to the My Document folder will be redirected to the user networked My Documents folder.

Redirecting the My Documents folder is easy, just open the relevant GPO (that applies Users settings to the TS computer accounts) and browse to: User Configuration - Windows Settings - Folder Redirection - My Documents.

Here is a good MS link on how to redirect the Users My Documents folder to thier Home Directory - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc783674.aspx

Thanks,
        Smart-X

Comment

Thanks Smart-X.

Before I do this, can anyone confirm that this will not have any effect on users' profiles and where their settings etc. are stored? Will the only difference will be that when users try to open or save a file in an application that defaults to My Documents, they will see the network share instead?

Thanks,

Gary

Comment

It will reduce the size of their profiles as the My Documents folder will be redirected.

As for settings, those are maintained in the Application Data folder and in the user's registry hive, so you shouldn't lose any settings.

Yes, when users save documents or files to My Documents they'll be seeing the My Documents folder on the network share.

Here's an MS article on configuring folder redirection:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc782799.aspx

Comment

Thanks, Joeqwerty - I've tried this and it seems to be working.

Comment

glad to help.

Comment

Working...
                X