Firewall Friendly Remote Desktop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewall Friendly Remote Desktop

Is there a server app that allows RDP client behind firewalls to announce themselves anfd allow connection without port forwarding like echovnc?

Thanks,
    Robert

Re: Firewall Friendly Remote Desktop

Yes, if you're running Server 2008 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc731264.aspx

If not, then maybe you should tell us more about your setup?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

It is Server 2003, static IP.

Comment

I'm still not sure what your goal is.
        My magic globe doesn't work that well so it might help if you explain a bit more.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Are you running a domain? What do you want to connect to - servers or workstations? My suggestion would be to setup RRaS on your gateway to accept VPN connections and work that way. Much more secure.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Apologies for the lack of info and thanks for the responses.

I have a server 2003 install with a static IP. I have a bunch of digital signage XP boxes strewn across the state in places were I don't have access to the routers. They are not on a domain. I want to be able to remote control them for applying software updates etc. I have used Echovnc server which allows the clieny PCs to announce themselves to the server and I can then connect to them without chaving to configure any port forwarding. I'm thinking a software VPN may be my best bet and tunnell RDP through that.

What are your thoughts? Any recommendations on VPN?

Thanks again,
            Robert

Comment

Windows Server supports VPN. I would agree that connecting via VPN would be preferable - it greatly reduces the surface area for attack by exposing far fewer LAN hosts directly to the internet.
              Gareth Howells

Comment

google Hamachi

sean

Comment

Originally posted by rd42 View Post
                  Apologies for the lack of info and thanks for the responses.

I have a server 2003 install with a static IP. I have a bunch of digital signage XP boxes strewn across the state in places were I don't have access to the routers. They are not on a domain. I want to be able to remote control them for applying software updates etc. I have used Echovnc server which allows the clieny PCs to announce themselves to the server and I can then connect to them without chaving to configure any port forwarding. I'm thinking a software VPN may be my best bet and tunnell RDP through that.

What are your thoughts? Any recommendations on VPN?

Thanks again,
                  Robert
                  Hi Robert,

Isn't EchoVNC doing that for you?

Please update when you get an answer from here http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.p...orum_id=451544
                  Or is that a slightly different issue?

Ta
                  Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                  X