Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN and Terminal Services

hi all,

My office has centres in many towns & cities in my state. I have to make a Database server available to them through VPN technology.

I am planning to make them access Server through Remote Desktop Connection & terminal Services. Is that a good idea ?

Do I have to add those remote PC's in the domain at main office? or do i only have to make 'Remote Desktop Users" in Server at main office in case of VPN?

and in that case of VPN , will i be able to implement Terminal group policies ?

Please explain. thanks !

Re: VPN and Terminal Services

I am planning to make them access Server through Remote Desktop Connection & terminal Services. Is that a good idea ?
    Unless you have the application they need to use the database with installed locally on each persons computer in the remote locations, you will need to use RDP.

Whether you use vpn's with your rdp connection is debatable. I currently work for a company who DONT use Vpn's with rdp connections, but have worked for some who do. Here is a discussion relating to that topic.

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=27359

Do I have to add those remote PC's in the domain at main office? or do i only have to make 'Remote Desktop Users"
    Join them to the domain if you wish to apply group policy to the remote computers themselves. But otherwise, just the user accounts should be sufficient. You can do the user accounts now & if you wish to do the computers themselves, add them later.

will i be able to implement Terminal group policies ?
    Yes, against user policies & not computer policies.

Comment

You can use Microsoft IAG solution, Juniper SSL VPN etc. to implement a nice SSO and two factor authentication. After the user authenticated, the policy should be the same that applied to a regular TS.
      Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

hi,
        thanks for writing but i am new to the IT field and not a word went into my head. Can you explain it in detail ?

thanks !

Originally posted by yuval14 View Post
        You can use Microsoft IAG solution, Juniper SSL VPN etc. to implement a nice SSO and two factor authentication. After the user authenticated, the policy should be the same that applied to a regular TS.

Comment

Or use Hamachi if you are familiar with that.

Once the VPN is created, the remote pc's can join the domain.

Comment

hey did u get the personal message i sent you ?

well yes we are using Hamachi. but i am also planning to use Hamachi VPN to log-in users by Remote Desktop. Do you think that's wise ?

and since i am combining RDC & VPN do you think i will be able to apply Terminal service policies to my users who are connected only through VPN & not Domain ?

thnx.

Originally posted by mobius2011 View Post
            Or use Hamachi if you are familiar with that.

Once the VPN is created, the remote pc's can join the domain.

Comment

Please do not use PMs to solve questions posted in the Forums. Posting the info here means more readers get to see your problem therefore you have a greater chance of having a solution provided. The added benefit is once a solution is provided it is then available for anyone who searches the Net for the same problem in the future.

Techit, if you have any questions about posting please read the Posting Rules. Any questions after that please feel free to PM me with them. Thanks.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Could you explain what you mean by Database Server?

How would I use your Database server if I was sitting in your office on your domain?

Are the offices now connected via VPN together?
                You stated you have several offices all over the state. How many users / licenses are you going to need to run the Terminal Server? and will you need more than one machine IE: cluster?

If you give more information about the Database server you might find options besides the RDP over VPN.

Hobie

Comment

Working...
                X