Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows Defender & Terminal Services Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Windows Defender & Terminal Services Server

    Hello everyone,

    this my first post here, and I am pretty sure it is a newbie question

    but I would like to know does Windows Defender start running separate instances of itself for each logged in client on WTSS, or does it just run one instance for the whole system?!

    any help would be greatly appreciated

  • #2
    Re: Windows Defender & Terminal Services Server

    Windows Defender the application is just a front end to the Windows Defender service which runs under the context of the Local System account. You can install Windows Defender on your Terminal Servers without causing any problems.

    Welcome to the site
    Gareth Howells

    BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

    Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

    Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

    "For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Windows Defender & Terminal Services Server

      Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Windows Defender the application is just a front end to the Windows Defender service which runs under the context of the Local System account. You can install Windows Defender on your Terminal Servers without causing any problems.

      Welcome to the site
      Thank you for the reply and the welcome

      so if I have about 12 users logging in to my TS server (each with their own accounts) WD would not slow down the system correct

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Windows Defender & Terminal Services Server

        Not noticeably, no. It will obviously use some system resources, but there will only be one instance running regardless of the number of users.
        Gareth Howells

        BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

        Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

        Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

        "For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

        "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Windows Defender & Terminal Services Server

          Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          Not noticeably, no. It will obviously use some system resources, but there will only be one instance running regardless of the number of users.

          Thank you for the great info

          one more thing

          would you by any chance know or recommend a good real time antispyware solution for the TSS other than WD or SuperAntiSpyware (this one fights spyware the best but tends to slow down the system to a crawl if too many users logg in).
          Last edited by spetcnaz; 26th November 2008, 19:22.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Windows Defender & Terminal Services Server

            I recommend Windows Defender to all of my clients. It takes up very little in terms of system resources, is updated through WSUS/Microsoft Update so pseudo-automatically and is Group Policy aware.

            Whatever product you use, the best defence is always going to be common sense, user education and restriction of user priviliges. With that in mind, I would recommend Windows Defender as being perfectly adequate.
            Gareth Howells

            BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

            Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

            Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

            "For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

            "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Windows Defender & Terminal Services Server

              Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              I recommend Windows Defender to all of my clients. It takes up very little in terms of system resources, is updated through WSUS/Microsoft Update so pseudo-automatically and is Group Policy aware.

              Whatever product you use, the best defence is always going to be common sense, user education and restriction of user priviliges. With that in mind, I would recommend Windows Defender as being perfectly adequate.

              I guess we will give the WD a try and see how it works out

              many thanks

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Windows Defender & Terminal Services Server

                WD also has the bonus of being free for commercial use.

                Let us know if you have problems
                Gareth Howells

                BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

                Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

                Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

                "For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

                "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Windows Defender & Terminal Services Server

                  Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                  WD also has the bonus of being free for commercial use.

                  Let us know if you have problems

                  Thank you will do

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X