Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop Support for End-Users

Hello All-

I would like to get some input from everyone; we are currently using VNC to connect remotely to users within the network. However, we are looking for "better" ways of doing this. These ways need to be user friendly, the less the end-user has to do the better. Any suggestions?

Re: Remote Desktop Support for End-Users

Can you define "better" ?
    VNC works quite well for example. Do you want a faster connection, more options etc?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi,

I use Teamviewer for remote support. They have a small client ~600-700 kb. That you can configure with your companylogo, etc. You also define a standard password, and "building the exe-file"

I have my file at my primary site, so i can point people to www.mydomain.com/support.exe

Take a look at it, www.teamviewer.com
      Best regards,
      Carsten.

Comment

So, if you do have the solution, what is the question?
        TeamViewer is a great product... Especially the fact that is does not need special dealings with the FW...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
          So, if you do have the solution, what is the question?
          Was that for me? - I'm not the thread-starter
          Best regards,
          Carsten.

Comment

Originally posted by cs.dk View Post
            Was that for me? - I'm not the thread-starter

Gee, you're right !! Apologies !!
            Where's that hat I should eat now?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

TeamViewer gets my vote too. Small, quick and simple. Top dog remote admin.
              If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post

Gee, you're right !! Apologies !!
                Where's that hat I should eat now?
                No problem, mate - I was just comfused (As I mention other in other threads, English is not my native language. And I misunderstand sometimes)
                Last edited by cs.dk; 23rd November 2008, 19:12.
                Best regards,
                Carsten.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. In terms of better, I should say that I agree with your that VNC works great, we are really looking for a built in MS solution that provides some security. I would love to find something that works with Remote Assistance to the point where the user just has to click an icon on their desktop, and a request is sent to me. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Comment

The only problem that I have found with TeamViewer is that it is not free?

Comment

It's not exactly expensive ! http://teamviewer.com/licensing/index.aspx
                      If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by Cspears View Post
                        Thanks everyone for your input. In terms of better, I should say that I agree with your that VNC works great, we are really looking for a built in MS solution that provides some security. I would love to find something that works with Remote Assistance to the point where the user just has to click an icon on their desktop, and a request is sent to me. Any ideas?

Thanks again!
                        • It would help to know what kind of IT department you're in. Are you an in-house department for a company or are you an IT services provider that has many different businesses as your customers?
                        • Either way, do you need to get to computers from across WAN links or from the internet at large or can you access those computers from a LAN or VPN connection?
                        • What about different platforms? Do you need to remote into Windows, Mac, Linux, Windows mobile and / or others?
                        • What form of user interaction does VNC necessitate? From my experiences with it, it doesn't need the user to do anything for you to be able to connect.
                        • What is your budget?
                        • About how many nodes are you needing access to?

One of the best tools for LAN access to Windows machines (a somewhat specialized circumstance, but not all that uncommon) is using Dameware Mini Remote Control. It's totally transparent to the user and requires no interaction on their part. The licensing model is rather nice too.

If the computers that you need to support are within your domain, you may also want to look into the "Offer Remote Assistance" GPO.
                        Wesley David
                        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                        -------------------------------
                        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

It would help to know what kind of IT department you're in. Are you an in-house department for a company or are you an IT services provider that has many different businesses as your customers? In house IT dept. for a Medical Facility. 700 workstations and 70 Servers, 1000+ users.
                          Either way, do you need to get to computers from across WAN links or from the internet at large or can you access those computers from a LAN or VPN connection? LAN and VPN access only.
                          What about different platforms? Do you need to remote into Windows, Mac, Linux, Windows mobile and / or others? MS Windows Only
                          What form of user interaction does VNC necessitate? From my experiences with it, it doesn't need the user to do anything for you to be able to connect. We want the user to be able to request Remote Assistance with calling, and also we must have some type of auth.
                          What is your budget? Free is what we are looking for, times are rough. This is why I would like to use Offer Remote Assistance.
                          About how many nodes are you needing access to? 750+-

We like the idea of using Offer Remote Assistance; however, we need a way of knowing which machine a user is at. ( with VNC we simply asked the user to mouse over the icon in the systray, and give us their IP) I have seen a setup before that links the logged on username to the proper computer description in AD; that would work perfectly. It would be nice to be able to script Remote Assistance so the user double clicks an script/icon, the script then sends the remote assistance invitation to the admin. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comment

Not perfect, but...

we label all of our computers with a number which corresponds to its reserved IP address. With that many machines, I would have thought you do the same, or put some form of inventory/asset ID on them?

Failing that, you could place a shortcut on everyone's desktop to open a command prompt and run hostname which shows the hostname of the system. The shortcut target would be cmd /k hostname and users don't need administrative priviliges to do that.
                            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Cspears View Post
                              with VNC we simply asked the user to mouse over the icon in the systray, and give us their IP
                              bginfo.exe can display that on the users desktop.

Comment

Working...
                              X