Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing remotely and locally simultaneously

Hello everyone.

I am trying to help out a friend of mine who has a rather odd problem.

He currently has several employees who work from home. Under certain conditions there is a legal requirement that information is reported within a fairly tight time frame (8hrs in fact). Since they only have a single centralised reporting system to submit these reports, the employees have to travel from where they live, to the central office to submit these reports.

On a more day to day basis, the employees have to travel down on a regular basis to the office to update information on the central system and print it off to go in the physical file (another legal requirement).

This is obviously not an ideal arrangement.

I am suggesting that he implement some sort of VPN solution and have suggested that he uses TS to serve the reporting app up to the employees. For security I would also use TLS on these connections.

There would be a maximum 5 users connected simultaneously and it is my understanding that there is a 90(?) day grace period on the terminal server under Server 2003 that would allow us to successfully trial this option before I commit him to purchasing CALs (I was going to go with per user CALs - I assume they can be transferred if necessary).

Hopefully this makes sense so far

So - to my question. Is it possible that when a user connects via TS to the server, any printed documents are printed at the user's end AND a copy printed off at the server? Specifically without the need to ask the user to print the document twice?

Many thanks in advance

Re: Printing remotely and locally simultaneously

This would not be possible, unless the application you are using supports printing to two printers at once.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thank you for your answer.

I assumed it was possible since this post says this was happening. Could you tell me why it appeared to happen in this case? Perhaps I could attempt a similar 'misconfiguration'?

Many thanks

Comment

Hi -=bb=-,

Try this; http://www.andtechnologies.com/mpp.html

or maybe any of these searches ....

Cheers
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks for the link
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
            Hi -=bb=-,

Try this; http://www.andtechnologies.com/mpp.html

or maybe any of these searches ....

Cheers
            Damn you and your GoogleFu

Broadcast printing ... of course .. that is what I meant to say instead of the excessively wordy title I used in the first instance!

Thank you sensei

Comment

Working...
            X