Terminal Server user cannot reconnect to 1st session

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminal Server user cannot reconnect to 1st session

I have terminal servers running Windows Server 2003, and a rare fringe case seems to crop up about once a month for some random user in the company on some random terminal server.

The situation is that all users are allowed only 1 session on any terminal server, this is set by GPO. Occasionally however, a user connects and instead of getting reconnected to their one session, they get a second session. After this, they seem to get a new session every time and cannot reconnect to the first session.

The only thing I've managed to do on this is to reset every single session by such a user, losing unsaved work/long running processes, after which they get back to opening and using a new 1 session as normal which they can then reconnect to.

Windows eventlog hasn't turned up anything relevant.

Any ideas why this happens or how to fix it/prevent it from happening?

Re: Terminal Server user cannot reconnect to 1st session

Are you using the Session Directory service to connect them to previous sessions? If so, you can delete the Session Directory database and have it rebuild itself.

Comment

no but i'll look in to implementing this... thanks.

Comment

Session Directory might help you in the future, but I find its price a bit high. First of all, you'll have to have the Enterprise version of the OS on all your servers.
        Second, it needs the Microsoft NLB to load balance the multiple servers (and that's a pain in the *ss).
        More info needed:
        How many servers do you have?
        How (if at all) are they load balanced?
        Have you tried to see on which server is the stuck session?Does it happen always on the same server?
        Are you using UPHClean?
        Are you using roaming profiles?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Please use:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

And drop a disconnected sessions.
          Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
            Session Directory might help you in the future, but I find its price a bit high. First of all, you'll have to have the Enterprise version of the OS on all your servers.
            Second, it needs the Microsoft NLB to load balance the multiple servers (and that's a pain in the *ss).
            More info needed:
            How many servers do you have?
            How (if at all) are they load balanced?
            Have you tried to see on which server is the stuck session?Does it happen always on the same server?
            Are you using UPHClean?
            Are you using roaming profiles?
            Not load balanced, 11 Terminal Servers, standard edition. Happens randomly as far as I can tell, once someone somehow manages to get a second session, then when they retry again a few times they end up with a whole heap of disconnected sessions. Not using UPHClean or roaming profiles.

Comment

I don't quite get it...
              You have 11 Terminal Servers, unbalanced and without roaming profiles. The users' profile reside on the Terminal Server (each of them, since you are not using roaming profile)?
              If this is true, then I cannot understand how it does work sometimes...
              Please provide more info about your set-up.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

each Terminal Server holds specific data, aliases to each specific terminal server exist, the users connect to the alias and go to the same Terminal Server every time.

Comment

So, users go to different servers for different needs/applications/whatsoever?
                  Or one user always logs in to the same server?

C'mon, why do I need to answer so many questions ...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Any number of users go to the same Terminal Server every time they need to do work on DataX, or another terminal server if they need to do work on DataY. It is the Data that the Terminal Server has access to that determines which Terminal Server the user or users choose to connect to.

Comment

Install UPHClean, as Yuval recommended.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                      X